Saturday, 4 January 2014

Baileys Choconana Pie

New Year's Day and we were off to visit friends for a feast by the fire. Something special was required. I had some bananas that needed using up and some odds and ends of chocolate that I wanted to finish off. I also had two 180ml pots of Baileys Extra Thick Cream I'd been sent in order to try out in a recipe. So my Baileys Choconana Pie was born.

The Baileys cream was fresh cream, but with a few additional ingredients. I was expecting Baileys but was a little surprised at the addition of sugar and starch. I would have thought the Baileys would be enough of a sweetener on its own. However, as it was already thick, it was easy to use, no need for whipping. It tasted as I expected: sweet cream with a hefty dose of Baileys - decidedly moreish. It would be good to accompany many a festive pud or mince pie or to use as an ingredient in its own right.

The pie was of course indulgent and delicious, but really this is just what is needed to celebrate the New Year.

As I had rather a lot of bananas that needed using up and this was also a good excuse to tidy up up my chocolate shelf, I am submitting this pie to Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary for her No Waste Food Challenge.

This pie made us all very happy so I'm entering it into Calendar Cakes over at Dolly Bakes where the theme is If it makes you happy ...

I was sent two pots of Baileys Cream to use in a recipe. There was no requirement to write a positive review. As always, all opinions are my own.

print recipe


Baileys Choconana Pie
A dark chocolate biscuit base covered in thinly sliced bananas which are then covered with a mixture of yogurt and cream with a dash of Baileys. I used Baileys extra thick cream, but whipped double cream with a slug of Baileys would work just as well.
Ingredients
  • 8oz digestive biscuits
  • 2oz unsalted butter
  • 100g dark chocolate (plus a little extra for grating)
  • 360ml Baileys extra thick cream
  • 360ml Total Greek yogurt
  • 2 bananas
Instructions
1. Melt the butter and chocolate over a low heat.2. Bash the digestive biscuits until crumbed (I do mine with the end of a rolling pin).3. Combine the chocolate and biscuit mixture by stirring well and pour into a 9" flan or shallow pie dish. Press down firmly with the back of a spoon to line the dish both bottom and sides. Place in the fridge to set for 30 minutes or so.4. Slice the bananas thinly and lay over the chocolate base to cover.5. Stir the cream and yogurt together and spoon over the bananas.6. Grate a little dark chocolate over the top to decorate.
Details
Yield: 8 servings

16 comments:

  1. Looks gorgeous, the filling looks massive!!! Happy new year xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bailey's cream - it's so delicious and I bet it makes a fantastic topping for your lovely chocolatey pie! A great way to use up bananas too. Thanks for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks pretty amazing. One of those recipes that sadly even with all the soya milk in the world, is not quite going to taste the same made dairy free :-( So I am just imagining it longingly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! One of my favourite puddings as a child was sliced bananas with sour cream and brown sugar - I can just imagine that with a nip of Baileys and some chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say that's not only frugal, but inspired! Good job 'using up' and 'making do' !!!! I'd happily sit by the fire with you and your friends and have a slice of this cool treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - just about all of my favourite ingredients in one dish. All the best for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh this sounds really good! I expect the starch was added as a thickener, maybe the sugar to take away some of the bite from the Bailey's?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baileys AND chocolate AND pie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never drink Baileys but adore it in any baked or chilled dessert. This looks like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do love a good banana pie and this looks heavenly! The Baileys cream sounds lush too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing - I LOVE chocolate and banana together - and to add Baileys, that is pure genius!! I am definitely going to attempt to make one of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my days, I am already a massive fan of this baileys cream with mince pies at xmas. My favourite dessert is my dad's baileys and banana bread and butter pudding which uses chocolate brioche so this sounds right up my street...MUST try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am always going to be a lover of banoffee pie but this looks amazing! A brilliant twist on a perfect classic! Lovely dessert! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh this looks really good, love a bit of baileys!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails