Saturday, 14 December 2013

Goat's Cheese Chocolate Truffles

Goat's Cheese Truffles
Way way back many months ago, I was unable to attend a blogger's event at Chantal Coady's Rococo chocolate factory. I read many accounts of the fabulous time had by all. The highlight for most, other than indulging themselves with chocolate, was a demonstration of how to make goat's cheese truffles. I'd already heard accounts of how well these two unlikely ingredients worked together and indeed I've tried the combination out for myself on several occasions. My goat's cheese and chocolate tarts are so good, I keep coming back to them again and again. However, I didn't get around to trying out goat's cheese chocolate truffles until I hosted a six course chocolate dinner back in July, when I thought they would make a fitting and interesting end to the meal. I didn't have a recipe and after looking on the internet and getting baffled by all the myriad permutations I found there, I just made up my own very simple version.

This is how I made:

Goat Cheese Chocolate Truffles

  • Melted 150g 37% milk chocolate in a bowl over hot water then left to cool a little.
  • Beat 150g ripe and soft Capricorn goat cheese with 1 scant tbsp golden icing sugar.
  • Stirred in the chocolate until all incorporated.
  • Placed in the fridge to set for a couple of hours.
  • Sifted 1 tbsp cocoa powder into a bowl.
  • Rolled teaspoonfuls into balls using my hands then dropped them into the cocoa and rolled them around until fully coated. I made 22 quite large truffles.
  • Placed back in the fridge again until ready to eat.
Goats Cheese Truffles
Goodness gracious me - these were as delicious as I'd hoped. They finished the meal off very nicely indeed. I decided to use a sweet milk chocolate rather than a bitter dark one as I thought it might combine better with the saltiness and the goaty tang. Even with the milk chocolate and addition of icing sugar, these were almost, but not quite savoury. They made a fine stand-in for the traditional cheese and fruit course.

These would make excellent Christmas gifts for the more adventurous chocolate or cheese lover and if I get my act together I'll be making another batch.

This month's Tea Time Treats is for Festive Foodie Gifts, so I am sending some of these to join the prettily packaged tea time table over at What Kate Baked. I expect Karen of Lavender and Lovage will be taking a look-in too.

These truffles weren't exactly small, but they are an individual portions, which makes them eligible for Treat Petite with Cakeyboi and The Baking Explorer. The theme this month is Happy Holidays.

Recipe of the Week with Emily over at A Mummy Too also gets to enjoy one or two of these fabulous truffles.


13 comments:

  1. I'd love to try these. I can image them being very rich and creamy with a nice tang from the goats cheese. So inventive

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if some chocolate averse friends would enjoy these with the more savoury twist - I love the sound of these on a cheeseboard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I could so totally eat these!!! Chocolate and goat cheese go so well together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try this combination of flavours, as I love both goat's cheese and chocolate. Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this cheese and chocolate business! I can imagine these flavours pairing very well... especially being milk chocolate instead of dark. Maybe we should make a whole cheesy chocolate box? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this combination but am nervous about trying it - I suppose you have to pick a relatively mild goats cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How come didn't I think of using goat cheese in chocolate truffles!! They look exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey this is really new! Great idea to use goats cheese. A fab match with chocolate. Your truffles look simply divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you haven't experienced good truffles, the best I can do is to describe them this way: Truffles act on the brain. Their taste and aroma nearly overwhelm the senses, flirting with mental associations of over-indulgence and decadence, even naughtiness. Eating them at a restaurant, you might feel like you're doing something that shouldn't be done in public. This, of course, is part of their charm, and goes a long way to explain their cachet and expense.
    See more in my Blog at www.landofcooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting combination! If only the internet allowed us to taste what we read... Thank you very much for entering TTT and Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails