Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Mexican Chocolate Pudding with Chilli and Lime Mango Slices - a Valentine's Dessert

This recipe from Green Seasons by Rachel Demuth has been bookmarked for a very long time. Using mangoes, limes, chillies, cinnamon and of course chocolate, it combines some of my favourite ingredients. I was given this cookbook by some dear friends at least three years ago and they hinted broadly that this was a recipe I ought to make. It took a basket of beautiful green limes, sent for review and Chris to choose Mexico for his monthly Bloggers Around the World event for me to finally take the plunge

Green Seasons is the third vegetarian cookbook written by Rachel Demuth, a leading vegetarian chef who runs the acclaimed vegetarian restaurant Demuths and the highly successful Vegetarian Cookery School in Bath. I've made quite a few of the recipes in the book, which include vegan and gluten free ones too; they have all been successful and delicious. You can find out more by reading my review of Green Seasons. The book has recently been made available for iPad so if on-line cookery books are more your thing, you may want to take a look. As well as the book, I can highly recommend the courses at the cookery school, at least the one I attended on Middle Eastern mezze anyway.

The pudding may be Mexican by name, but possibly not by nature. I'm not sure where the cinnamon or the chillies came from, but I don't think there was a single ingredient of Mexican provenance. However, Latin American it certainly was: the 100% chocolate bought on a recent trip to the Eden Project was Colombian, the rum was Cuban and the limes hailed from Brazil. The chocolate, very handily, came in two 125g blocks, which made it a breeze for me to halve the recipe - after all, there was only CT and I to indulge in them and even for us, a pudding to serve eight seemed a little excessive. Sadly, the limes arrived with very little information, but they did appear to be waxed, so I made sure I scrubbed them well with warm water and washing up liquid before using.

This is how I made:

Mexican Chocolate Pudding with Chilli and Lime Mango Slices

  • Melted 125g of Colombian 100% chocolate in a small saucepan over gently heat with 150 ml of milk. Stirred until almost smooth.
  • Took of the heat and added 1 tbsp of white Cuban rum.
  • Creamed 25g unsalted butter with 75g vanilla (caster) sugar.
  • Beat in a yolk from a duck egg and put the white in a clean bowl.
  • Beat in the chocolate mixture.
  • Sifted in 20g wholemeal spelt, 10g cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp baking powder. Stirred gently until just combined.
  • Whisked the egg white until stiff and folded into the chocolate mix. Spooned into four buttered ramekins.
  • Placed the ramekins in a tin and filled to about 1 cm with water.
  • Baked at 180C for about 17 minutes.
  • Peeled and sliced a ripe mango (rather messily)
  • Dissolved 2 tbsp cardamom (caster) sugar in a large pan with 1 tbsp water over a low heat.
  • Turned up the heat and added 1/2 tsp chilli flakes followed by the mango slices.
  • Allowed to bubble away for a few minutes until the liquid had turned syrupy.
  • Removed from the heat and added the grated zest and juice of one well scrubbed Brazilian lime.
  • Ran a knife around the edge of the puddings to loosen them, then turned out onto plates. Dusted with cocoa and added some reserved lime zest to the top.
  • Served with some the mango slices.
This may look like burnt pie and chips, but what it lacked in appearance, it more than made up for in sensuousness. It was very rich, very dark, not too sweet and it reached into places other puddings rarely do. The cinnamon supported, as well as ameliorated the strong and robust nature of the chocolate. We ate them warm whilst the centre was still gooey. The sweet, sour and fiery mango slices were delicious in their own right but also acted as a great foil to the chocolate. CT had only one thing to say about this: "sex on a plate". In fact he was probably right, these would be perfect for Valentine's Day.

Thank you to Chris of Cooking Around the World for choosing Mexico for this month's Blogging Around the World - he finally got me to make this rather wonderful dessert.

Kate of What Kate Baked has chosen Perfect Puddings for this month's Tea Time Treats. Hmmm, perfect looking my puddings aren't but I think they might hit the perfect button for taste, smell and touch. This monthly challenge is co-hosted by Karen of Lavender and Lovage.

Bookmarked for more than three years, this has to be a contender for Jac's Bookmarked Recipes over at Tinned Tomatoes.

Those two romantics Dolly Bakes and Laura Loves Cakes have a valentine's theme for this month's Calendar Cakes with My Achy Cakey Heart. Well as already described, this may not look that pretty but it's very likely to win over your Valentine.

Finally, I think, I am submitting these to Simple and in Season as limes are in full season now. Started by Ren of Fabulicious Foods, this month's host is C of the fabulicious Cake, Crumbs and Cooking.

10 comments:

  1. Well ... eh ... eh ... eh ... am I out of words?
    Thank you first of all for taking in this time Bloggers Around the World. Funnily, I just finished preparing the round-up for tomorrow, so sadly you are ... no ... I just head over and add your sex on a plate Mexican chocolate pudding with chili and lime mango slices.
    Oh, you managed to serve quite some blog challenges with this post, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of my favourite flavours in one pudding, just perfect. I would love to try out one of Rachel Demuths books. I think they would be full of ingredients and recipes I would want to make. I would probably skip the main course and go for this if I ever saw it on a menu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. burnt pie and chips never tasted (or looked) so good... what a fabulous dish!... I can just taste that bittersweet mango and that dark dark chocolate... heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sex on a plate? how to say no to this pudding??? Great combination of flavours dear Choclette, what a good choice. I love the idea of baking and serving something REALLY DIFFERENT and SPECIAL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an awesome combo! Looks & sounds yummy with mangoes! YUM! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is beautiful and a really delicious idea. I love mangoes and they must go so well with the lime and chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Who could refuse "sex on a plate"?! This sounds absolutely divine! I'm so in love with Mexican cuisine and this has so many great flavours. Very sensual dessert indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds amazing C! I've also learnt that limes have a season (I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't really thought about that before...). Thanks for entering it into Simple and in Season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG this is making my mouth water!
    May is the month for Mangos (and Mulberries) around here. I know what I'll be making!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails