Saturday, 23 February 2013

Ginger and Lime Cake with Lime Curd and Whipped Ganache for Cornwall CCC and We Should Cocoa #30

To celebrate the publication of the Clandestine Cake Club Cookbook, this month's Cornwall CCC meeting was held on the launch date itself, February 14th, at Waterstones in Truro. The theme for this month's bake was, rather aptly, books. Visions of elaborate book shaped cakes sent me into an immediate panic when first hearing this, but then sense prevailed and a simple solution occurred to me: I would bake one of the recipes from the CCC cookbook. As I had an abundance of limes to use and needed ginger for this month's We Should Cocoa, I chose Dark 'n' Stormy Cake by Rob Martin from the Leeds CCC. There was one problem, it contained no chocolate - but when did that ever stop me? The sponge was a genoise, flavoured with ginger. It reminded me of the Lime and White Chocolate Genoise that I made a couple of years ago, based on Lorraine Pascale's Mojito Genoise from Baking Made Easy. I decided to make the sponge according to Rob's instructions, but substituted a lime syrup rather than his rum one and replaced the lime cream cheese frosting with whipped chocolate ganache. I then drizzled home made lime and ginger curd over the top.

This is how I made:

Ginger and Lime Cake with Whipped Chocolate Ganache and Lime Curd

  • Melted 90g unsalted butter in a pan over low heat and left to cool a little.
  • Chopped 100g crystallised ginger finely.
  • Whisked 6 duck eggs with 180g golden caster sugar using electric beaters on high speed for a good ten minutes until the mixture was thick, pale and had tripled in volume.
  • Sifted in 180g plain flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp ground ginger.
  • Folded this in as gently as possible.
  • Poured the butter in down one side of the bowl and folded this in as gently as possible.
  • Gently stirred in the crystallised ginger.
  • Divided the mixture between two 8" cake moulds and baked at 180C for 23 minutes when the cakes were firm on top and skewer inserted in the middle came out clean.
Meanwhile
  • Grated the rind of two well scrubbed limes into a small pan, followed by the juice.
  • Added 75g golden caster sugar and stirred over a low heat until the sugar had dissolved.
  • Poured the syrup over the cakes as soon as they were out of the oven, then left in their moulds to cool.
  • Made a pot of ginger tea by cutting a 1" piece of root ginger into slithers and pouring boiling water over the top. Left to steep for a good 15 minutes.
  • Melted 100g Cornish dark chocolate (55%) in a bowl over hot water with 50ml of ginger tea.
  • Heated 200ml double cream until just about boiling.
  • Added the cream, a third at a time to the chocolate stirring hard after each addition until all was incorporated and smooth.
  • Placed in the fridge for three hours.
  • Whisked with electric beaters on slow speed until soft peaks formed.
  • Turned the cakes out of their moulds.
  • Spread about a third of the mixture on the bottom of one of the cakes, then placed the bottom half of the other on top.
  • Covered the top and sides of the cake with the remaining ganache.
  • Drizzled 3 or 4 tablespoonfuls of lime and ginger curd over the top in a criss cross pattern.
Quite why this was called Dark n Stormy, I have yet to fathom; it was light in both colour and texture. In fact it was one of the lightest textured cakes I've ever made. The addition of ginger was inspired; it gave added interest and texture to what could have been a pleasant but rather generic sponge. The ganache was delicious, light, not too sweet and complemented the genoise nicely. The lime syrup and lime curd gave a welcome citrussy tang and added character. I was really pleased with the results and rather gratified by how quickly it disappeared. In fact, pleasure turned to consternation as I feared I might not get to try a piece myself. Luckily CT was on the case and saved me a piece to try later.

As if by magic the book opened at my recipe ;-)
Much to my bemusement, Daphne Skinnard of BBC Radio Cornwall dragged me off (nearly kicking and screaming) along with Sarah Milligan and Ellie Michell for a quick interview. Having a microphone thrust under my nose didn't do much for my eloquence, but there we are, we must suffer for our art. You can hear the clip here and it's abut 1:10 minutes into the programme.

Both cake makers and passing Waterstones customers partook of the delights on offer and many a smile was generated. Some strong willed individuals, looked but didn't try - it was Lent, after all. It was also Valentine's Day, so just right to spread some cakey-bakey love around. Literary allusions were much more obvious in some of the other cakes as you can see from the following photos. 

Cake Expectations by our warm hearted organiser Ellie Michell
Ceci C'est Un Gateau by Jilly Ballantyne
Chocolate & Beetroot Cake inspired by Chocolat by Sally & Emma
Pistachio Cake by Emily Scott - the best pistachio cake I've ever eaten.
Chocolate Cobweb Cake by Emma Skilton
Buttermilk Chocolate Cake by Sarah Milligan - her own recipe from the CCC Cookbook
All Gone

Jen of Blue Kitchen Bakes is hosting this month's We Should Cocoa and as already stated chose ginger as February's special ingredient.

30 comments:

  1. another feast of cakes... and look at your fancy schmancy icing... what a cool looking and sounding cake, love the ingredients... ginger is so fab in cakes methings and the ginger and lime combo sounds brilliant! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom - fancy schmancy icing isn't really my forte, but I give it a whirl from time to time ;)

      Delete
  2. Great looking cake and I love the icing. A great combo and the lime / ginger must make for a wonderful balanced not too sweet cake. Sounds like a great event. GG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you GG. It was a lovely event and nice to have our cakes tested out by the Waterstones public who gave them all the thumbs up. Ginger and lime is a combination I will be using again, it worked beautifully.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely event, the cakes all sound scrumptious and I love your recipe. I was lucky enough to be sent a copy of the book and have lots of cake baking planned....Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely Jude, thank you and the book is a complete delight. I'm sure you will have fun with it - my first cake from the book was most definitely a success.

      Delete
  4. Love the thought of lime and ginger together and how great to hold the CCC event at the CCC book launch. I am impressed by the standard of all the cakes and the theme of books is apt for me as I am going to be entering the edible book festival event again this coming month. You must have had a lovely time and t must be lovely to be featured in the book. A great memory to have :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, I was rather chuffed to be included in the book. Lime and ginger are a great combination and this cake was a great excuse to make some more lime and ginger curd too. The edible book festival sounds fun and I know your entry will be of your usual high standard - I shall have to remind myself what it is exactly.

      Delete
  5. It all looks lovely...really nice cakes...the pistachio one has my attention...after yours of course! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Susan, I'll let you off, the pistachio cake was truly scrumptious :)

      Delete
  6. This cake look absolutely beautiful and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gloria, it was indeed delicious - I have no modesty!

      Delete
  7. WOW! There are some amazing cakes there and I LOVE the Penguin ones! Your cake is also a STUNNER and one that I would love, as I am ginger lover! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, those Penguin books were the real stars - at least in looks ;-)

      Delete
  8. Oh!!! So many lovely cakes. I luv it. So, I just have to have cake for myself now. I think I can manage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. At least I know you can look after yourself in the cake department so won't be disappointed.

      Delete
  9. What a great meeting and I love your cake. I missed out last meeting because I had a chest infection. I wasn't happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac. Sorry to hear you weren't well, though I think everyone was ill in December / January / February :( I'm sure you'll get double the pleasure out of the next meeting.

      Delete
  10. I love lime curd - you used it in a great way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CC - lime and ginger curd, even better :)

      Delete
  11. your cake sounds absolutely divine! I love the lime curd :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tandy - lime curd is pretty special, especially with the ginger in it.

      Delete
  12. I think this could be the only entry to WSC this month that uses lime with the ginger, fantastic choice and looks like your CCC gathering was a good event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good gathering Jen, the Waterstones' customers seemed to approve anyway.

      I'm glad I had a unique combination, I do like to be a little different ;-)

      Delete
  13. Fab cake Choclette! Very inventive with the lime curd! It looks very well risen too.
    I like the display of cakes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alida, I think this was the lightest cake I've ever made and the lime curd was delicious.

      Delete
  14. Your cake sounds utterly delicious. You're really making me crave limey flavours at the moment! I love the look of all of the other cakes at your CCC - all very inventive and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline - I still have a load of limes to use up. Was going to make lime pickle this weekend, but ran out of time.

      Delete
  15. What an amazing combination, this sounds heavenly! I'm not really a baker but I really must give this recipe a try....I can almost taste it already :) Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails