Thursday, 7 February 2013

Chocolate Chilli Madeleines

The good folk at work gave me a voucher for a local kitchen shop for my birthday last year. It took me a while, but I finally spent it - on some silicone Madeleine moulds. Not only have I never made Madeleines before, but I don't remember ever having eaten one either. So, it really was time to change this. I wasn't entirely sure what they should be like, so it was Dan Lepard who I placed my faith in; I based my recipe on his Madeleines de Commercy from Short and Sweet. I used my usual half wholemeal, half white flour mix and substituted the vanilla extract for my homemade chocolate extract as well as swapping some of the flour for cocoa.

This is what I did:
  • Melted 75g unsalted butter gently in a small pan then set aside to cool.
  • Whisked 2 duck eggs and 75g golden caster sugar together for quite a long time it seemed, using electric beaters. Whisked until the mixture had trebled in volume and was pale and thick.
  • Sifted in 90g flour (half spelt, half white), 10g cocoa, 1/4 tsp cayenne and 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
  • Folded this in as gently as possible trying not to lose too much air from the eggs.
  • Poured the butter in down one side of the bowl and folded this in together with 2 tsp chocolate extract until just incorporated.
  • Placed a tbsp of the mixture into 12 Madeleine moulds.
  • Finding I had quite a bit left over, I divided the remaining mixture between 5 muffin moulds.
  • Baked for 10 minutes at 200C until well risen and firm to the touch.
  • Turned out onto a wire rack to cool.
Hooray, my first Madeleines were a success. They turned out well, had the classic shell like shape and looked pretty. They tasted buttery, had a nice hit of cocoa and chilli and weren't too sweet. I have no idea what the texture is meant to be like, but these were light and spongy. Unlike Proust, they didn't take me back to my youth, but the Atkins & Potts chocolate spread did, vraiment.

37 comments:

  1. What an unique madeleines recipe! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie. I'm a bit of a chilli fiend and especially like it combined with chocolate :)

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, they look fantastic, I'm not very brave with baking but these do look easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, they weren't at all hard to make and well worth the effort.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect looking! Love the chocolate and chili combo ... very 'Chocolat'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't help myself Susan, it's one of my favourite combinations :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful, elegant madeleines - they look so light too, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katharine. I think I;m going to have to do some more experimenting with madeleines.

      Delete
  6. They look perfect! I was given a madeleine tin years ago and I have never used it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look perfect and the way you've described them are, I think, exactly how a madeleine should be... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom *breathes a huge sigh of relief* :)

      Delete
  8. I love how you've Chocletted them to the full and with the chilli, too. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Jill, I guess I could have really pulled the boat out and dipped them in chocolate too ;-)

      Delete
  9. Whata thoughtful and kind gift and a great piece of kit to be spending it on! Lovely, lovely sounding madeleines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I really must get it out and use it again :)

      Delete
  10. They look gorgeous Choclette. Elegant and inviting. Adding chilly is very exotic! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alida, I'm a little bit addicted to chilli ;-)

      Delete
  11. I love madeleines and I also have a silicon mould, should really use it more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look fabulous. I really must buy myself a madeleine tray as I have so many recipes for them that I have never tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth getting as they are something fairly impressive you can whip up at short notice and they take virtually no time to cook.

      Delete
  13. These look so perfect and I love the addition of chilli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela - I have been know to sneak chilli into all sorts of thing ;-)

      Delete
  14. I really want to taste these!! Choc and chilli love love love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another chilli chocolate lover :D

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thank you Gloria, Madeleines make perfect little cakes.

      Delete
  16. WOW!! They look fantasic!! Bet they taste lovely too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim - modesty forbids me to say how lovely they tasted ;-)

      Delete
  17. I do love a madeleine and not just because it makes me feel Proustian. Mind you, Proust probably wouldn't approve of chilli but I definitely would. Lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Phil, you're absolutely right, he wouldn't have approved at all.

      Delete
  18. an excellent choice, did you see Michel Roux Jnr and Mary Berry making madeleines on Food and Drink last week?

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow they look perfect :) will you be experimenting with more madeleines in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look gorgeous. A recipe to try out sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made two cakes today, a Victoria sponge and a chocolate cake with cream filling. I would have loved to have tried these too they look lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails