Wednesday, 5 December 2012

The Brownie Baker

When I was doing my bit at the Liskeard Food Day, I was in the company of The Brownie Baker, a wonderful Cornish outfit making handmade brownies in St Agnes. They supply local bakers and cafes as well as selling them direct at local markets and food fairs. They very kindly gave me one of each of their six flavours to review. Strangely, I was very happy to do this.

These are fudgy brownies with lovely crackly tops, just like proper brownies should be. I can't tell you how glad it makes me feel to be able to get such good brownies in Cornwall. Some of them I liked more than others, but I'd be happy to eat my way through a stack of any of them.

Seasalt - With my current addiction for sea salted chocolate and caramel, this was my favourite. Chunks of salt were scattered throughout, giving wonderful crunchy bursts of flavour. CT wanted to roll it around his mouth and savour it for as long as possible. I think he must have had low blood sugar when he said this: "they are like icebergs of salt in a chocolate sea and every so often one collides with your taste buds and sinks backwards down your gullet like the Titanic". What is he like?

Sour Cherry - One bite of this and I was no longer so sure that the seasalt was my favourite after all. This was really delicious. It contained dried cherries soaked in cherry brandy which gave a tart and refreshing burst within each mouthful. I also detected a pleasant but unidentified flavour, which I thoroughly enjoyed - I'd love to know what it was.

Fudge - This brownie was liberally studded with chunks of Cornish fudge. It was good but my least favourite of all, as it was a little too sweet for me. The overall taste suggested it had picked up the caramel notes from the fudge, giving it its own unique flavour and softer texture. CT and I agreed that pieces of salted fudge would have counteracted the sweetness and suited us better.

Classic - This was a really good chocolate brownie with milk chocolate chunks scattered throughout.

Orange - The flavour was unmistakably orange with a slight bitter grapefruit tone which gave it a more realistic and rounded orange taste. However, it was a bit too strong for both CT & I who are rather fussy about orange flavoured chocolate.

White Chocolate - This is a variation on the classic brownie as it includes chunks of  white chocolate. These give added interest by creating an occasional change in texture and flavour and this makes for a sweeter taste experience.

When I checked the website for more information on the products, I was pleased to see that that they use locally sourced ingredients. Sadly, no other information pertaining to the ingredients was available at the time of writing, although I did notice that the website said it was under construction. For me, knowing what is in my food is of paramount importance so I would like to see more on the website as to the specific ingredients used.

Nevertheless, these brownies are absolutely delicious and would make a fabulous gift at any time of the year including Christmas - I certainly wouldn't say no to a box. For those of you lucky enough to be in Cornwall, you will find them at the Bude Christmas Fair this coming weekend (8th and 9th December) and at the Stithians Christmas Fair on 15th December.

9 comments:

  1. Fab review. Always good to see local companies doing do well. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom - I certainly hope all is good.

      Delete
  2. Those look like proper brownies! Love the sound of all the flavours, I don't know how you coud pick a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo - Indeed, I'm not sure I could really pick one favourite - two definitely stood out for me though.

      Delete
  3. Sounds all very lovely, but I guess I have no other choice to be experimenting brownie-wise in the kitchen. After all I have over 1200 g of chocolate in store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame they don't sell online, but hopefully they will one day.

      And what are you doing with over a kilo of chocolate in your cupboard. I shall be watching your space.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely review and how great for a local business to do so well too. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen - those brownies were nearly as good as my own ;-)

      Delete
  5. How good do those brownies look! I am a big fan of a well made brownie and these look superb. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails