Friday, 28 December 2012

Mincemeat Buns

Having made such glorious scented chilli and chocolate mincemeat, I was keen to use it in various festive bakes. The first was a recipe I adapted from co-op's in-store magazine and were made as a thank you to our lovely neighbours who take in our parcels with monotonous regularity and never complain.

This is how I made them:
  • Creamed 125g unsalted butter with 125g golden caster sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Broke in 2 duck eggs, beating well between each egg.
  • Added 1/3 teaspoon almond extract and beat some more.
  • Sifted in 125g self-raising white flour and 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
  • Spooned into 10 muffin cases.
  • Placed a heaped tsp of my homemade mincemeat on top.
  • Baked at 180C for 15 minutes until risen and golden.
They were so good, I made another batch to take to my 2nd festive party - in the rain! This time I added 1/2 a 1 lb jar of my mincemeat to the mix, instead of spooning on top and omitted the almond essence. I used my usual mix of half wholemeal spelt and half plain white flour with 1/4 tsp of baking powder added (which I didn't first time around). These made 12 cakes and were even better than the first batch; I brought home an empty plate.

The most delicious of all the mincemeat bakes I made were for the 1st festive party, where it also rained, but I shall post those at a later date.

I am submitting these to Jac's Bookmarked Recipes


I've made so many Christmas bakes with chocolate in this month, but keep forgetting to include them into this month's Chocolatey Tea Time Treats, so I'm doing it now whilst I remember. Hosted this month by What Kate Baked, this is a toothsome challenge hosted alternately by Karen of Lavender and Lovage.

16 comments:

  1. They look lovely and very festive. i thought at first you might have added saffron to the mix as the top photo looks so golden. Great idea, nice and light while still being festive

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound delicious! I'm always trying to come up with new ways to use mincemeat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! And it makes me so happy that you call these buns and not cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Love the festive combo & look so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of the chilli and chocolate mincemeat. Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mincemeat! Yummy yum. Chilli & cchocolate sounds like an intriguing addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a lovely way of using mincemeat - I particularly like the look of that second batch. Your mincemeat sounds divine too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, these sound so good Choclette! I'll be baking some with our leftover mincemeat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I concur, a brilliant way of using up leftover mincemeat (*rushes to rescue half used jars of mincemeat from back of cupboards*). Thank you very much for entering these into TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely addition with the duck eggs...I wonder if I can find them here... =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see me making something similar this week - I have one third of a jar of mince meat left. Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVELY recipe Choclette and a perfect entry for Tea Time Treats too.....Karen xxx Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, these are nice. I always found mince pies too rich with too much filling and not enough crust/cake. This bridges the gap! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cute - I like mincemeat in these quantities and with sponge

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very good use for leftover mincemeat, much nicer than mince pies.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails