Sunday, 23 December 2012

Ginger Choc Chip Oat Cookies

Cookies in a jar are a wonderful concept, but how do they stand up to reality, I wondered? The proof of the pudding is in the eating - or baking in this instance. It was time to try making the cookies in a jar recipe I posted a few days ago. As One Ingredient, hosted by Laura of How to Cook Good Food and Nazima of Franglais Kitchen, is ginger this month, I thought ginger and chocolate chip cookies would be a fine festive bake to give to a friend. I had a bar of Seed & Bean mandarin and ginger organic dark chocolate that I hoped would give a sense of indulgent luxury to the biscuits.

This is how I made them:
  • Melted 50g butter.
  • Sieved 75g of wholemeal spelt into a bowl with 1/4 tsp of baking powder and 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
  • Added 60g rolled oats.
  • Added 75g light muscovado sugar and whisked to remove any lumps.
  • Chopped 70g dark ginger and and mandarin chocolate and added to the bowl.
  • Chopped 30g crystallised ginger and added to the bowl.
  • Made a well in the centre and broke in 1 egg and added the butter.
  • Stirred until all combined.
  • Rolled the dough into 15 balls between my hands and placed well apart on a baking tray.
  • Flattened slightly and baked for 9 minutes at 180C.
I was relieved when they came out of the oven and looked just like biscuits should. They were in fact very tasty. They were crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle, but with a nice chewy texture which enabled the ginger to really hit home. They were just what was needed on a miserable dreich day - of which we seem to be having rather a lot lately. Note to self, make more and give less away.

Once again, I apologise for the rubbish photographs - I blame the weather.


11 comments:

  1. These do look very tempting, and I love ginger biscuits! Have a lovely Christmas :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. not rubbish photo's at all!... and lovely looking cookies, thank the lord they worked!... and such lovely gifts (ahem)... Merry Chrimbo honey pie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm experimenting with wholemeal spelt in biscuits at the moment - really like your idea of combining it with oats
    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally I think these sound exactly right as a winter biscuit - and there's nothing wrong with the photos. Excellent use of the word dreich, by the way, it's one of my favourite words at the moment. Have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A brilliant post for learning a new recipe as well as a new word. Dreich I will now keep in mind for days like yesterday, so apt. I think the chocolate with mandarin & ginger sounds like it lifted a good biscuit into something pretty special. I am always impressed by the amount of home made gifts you make but agree you should keep more back for yourself!
    Have a Happy Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for entering One Ingredient too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to try cookies in a jar but didn't manage to get round to it this year...maybe next year! Your cookies look fab though and suitably festive with some warming ginger! Have a happy Christmas! :-) P.S I didn't know what dreich meant either! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look lovely, I love the texture of oaty biscuits. It's difficult to stop at one! I've really struggled to give away the biscuits I've made as gifts this year too. Merry Christmas Choclette! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look beautiful and who wouldn't be so pleased to receive some. Merry Christmas. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look delicious and what a wonderful gift - I love the way you've packaged them too. I love the combination of chocolate and ginger - I think I've inherited my love of it from my dad, his favourite Christmas present was Thornton's chocolate gingers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What delicious cookies! the crystallised ginger must have really been lovely in it.
    thanks for linking to one ingredient. I'm sorry to have been slow but am finally doing my roundup post so linking back to your recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails