Wednesday, 19 December 2012

Festive Cookies in a Jar

In the excitement leading up to the Liskeard Christmas Vintage Market, I came across this post on cookies in a jar over at the Pink Whisk. I thought they would be a fun item to try selling at the stall I was helping out on. And if they didn't sell, I could give them as Christmas gifts.

In these days of lavish and wasteful packaging, these make a great low waste alternative gift: they are fun, attractive in their own right, you get to make some cookies (always a good thing) and you have a handy jar for reuse.

This is how I did them:
  • Sterilised three 500 ml jars by washing them out in clean soapy water then putting them in the oven for 20 minutes at 100C.
  • For each one, weighed and sieved 75g plain flour, 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda, 1/4 tsp baking powder and carefully spooned into bottom of the jars to create an even (ish) layer.
  • Spooned in 75g light muscovado sugar in an even layer.
  • Added 50g dried cranberries followed by 50g dark 70% chocolate (roughly chopped) to one jar.
  • Added 50g white chocolate chips, followed by 50g dried cranberries to another jar.
  • Added 50g white chocolate chips, followed by 50g raisins to another jar.
  • Finished off the layering with 60g rolled oats.
  • Labelled the jars, then covered the tops with a couple of layers of red tissue paper and tied with twine and added a card with the baking instructions. As follows:
  • Mix all ingredients in a bowl with 1 egg and 50g melted butter (or 2 tbsp sunflower oil).
  • Place spoonfuls (about 12) onto a lined baking tray and bake at 180C for 6-8 minutes.
The jars created quite a talking point and I sold two out of the three, which I was well chuffed with. I was going to try making the cookies myself, but ran out of time. I do, however, have complete faith in the Pink Whisk and I am planning on making some before Christmas.

NB 20.12.12
I've just made a batch of these cookies and can report that they worked really well and are absolutely delicious. I will do a quick post about them soon.


18 comments:

  1. Great idea... I saw this at the food fair I was demo-ing at in November and I thought at the time what a genius idea it was. So pretty and actually useful too!... I love your combinations too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep bookmarking ideas like this at Pinterest but haven't got around to making any yet...

    BTW where you've written "75g plain flour, 1/4 tsp plain flour, 1/4 tsp baking powder" is that second ingredient meant to be something else? x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, this is great for this coming holidays gift.


    www.brownieheaven.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're beautiful, just a perfect Christmas gift!
    I made the same last year!!!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a brilliant gift idea!! I love to receive glass jars and I reuse them several times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Olá como vai ,estou fazendo uma visita e aproveitando
    para desejar boas festas e muito sucesso
    boa semana , até mais

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a terrific idea! Noted and set with a bookmark under ideas for next year's church fair! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a friend who is selling these for Christmas gifts! They are a wonderful idea and provide storage for the final product too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look lovely, I've seen quite a few recipes for 'cookies in a jar' but never tried them... you need to give us an update once you've baked a batch to find out how good they taste!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely idea! I've received few jars last year for X'mas & they're amazing recipes indeed. I bet yours too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic idea!
    p.s Chill the stamped cookies for a couple of hours before baking, then they won't look blurry after baking. The chocolate one I used a simple shortbread recipe with added cocoa powder and some ground almond.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fab gift to receive!
    www.LondonBusyBody.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so original Choclette. They make such a wonderful present and these days people appreciate homemade gifts much more. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful idea and they look so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am definitely going to do this... next year! Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a fun idea, I've done it myself, but got a few odd looks from the recipients! Hope you have a great festive season.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tamp each layer tightly. The flat top of a meat tenderizer mallet makes a great tool to tamp down each layer of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails