Fairtrade Foundation and I was keen to try them out.
This is how I did it:
- Placed 150g unsalted butter in a bowl and left it on our storage heater for an hour to soften (the kitchen has gone into it's no need for a fridge phase).
- Sifted 175g flour (half white, half wholemeal) into a bowl together with 1 tsp baking powder.
- Peeled, cored and chopped 1 large tart apple (unidentified Cornish variety) and tossed into the flour ensuring all surfaces were coated to prevent browning.
- Chopped 50g of Traidcraft dark chocolate (70%) into chips.
- Crumbled 125g cherry Wensleydale cheese into small bits.
- Creamed the butter with 175g golden caster sugar until it was really pale and fluffy.
- Beat in 2 duck eggs, one by one.
- Folded in the flour and apple, mixing in 3 tbsp milk when the mixture became too stiff.
- Gently stirred in the chocolate and cheese.
- Spooned into a 2lb loaf mould.
- Cored, peeled and sliced a small tart Cornish apple (variety unidentified) and laid over the cake.
- Sprinkled over 1 tbsp demerara sugar and baked at 180C for 45 minutes.
- Allowed to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack and cutting a slice immediately!