To affirm my love of breakfast, I'm very pleased to be hosting Breakfast Club this month. Breakfast club is the very sound inspiration from Helen of Fuss Free Flavours. I haven't participated more than a couple of times so far, as there is a limit to just how much chocolate you can eat for breakfast, but I'm pleased to be doing so now. The theme is of course chocolate!
I have asked for chocolate inspired breakfasts once before, way back in the early days of my blog. So it feels like the time is right to revisit. I look forward to your chocolatey creations.
At this time of year, the humble oat makes a welcome comeback and porridge is our breakfast of choice at the weekend, err, sometimes adorned with a dollop of Cornish clotted cream. The following recipe for Chocolate Oatmeal Porridge was one I developed for a recent oatmeal competition. Sadly I didn't win, but I certainly enjoyed eating the porridge anyway.
This makes for an indulgent, but healthy, winter weekend breakfast for two. It's delicious, but not too sweet and with the nutritious oats and anitoxidents in the chocolate, it actually makes for a healthy and sustaining breakfast.
1/2 pt milk
1/2 pt water
50g fine oatmeal
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp honey
50g 70% dark chocolate - broken into pieces.
swirl of yogurt or cream (optional)
Bring the milk and water to boiling point in a medium sized saucepan. Slowly whisk in the oatmeal. Turn the heat down to the lowest setting & continue to whisk for a few minutes. Add cinnamon and whisk until fully incorporated. Cover and leave to cook for 15 minutes, whisking every 4 minutes or so. This bit is important to stop the porridge sticking and to give it a nice creamy consistency. Turn off the heat and add the honey and chocolate. Give it a final whisk and pour into two bowls. Add a swirl of yogurt or cream if desired.
To take part, make a breakfast which includes chocolate in some way, shape or form and post it.
- Mention Breakfast Club and use the logo.
- Link to the Breakfast Club page and to this one.
- You are welcome to send in old recipes, but please add the information above and republish.
- Entries can be sent to other events, but please respect their rules.
- If you tweet please use #blogbreakfastclub.
- If you do not have a blog, send a photo and details to me - choclette8 AT gmail.com
- All breakfast clubs are also blog hops, so do feel free to grab the code and add to your page.
- Entries to be in by midnight on 25th November please.