Tuesday, 20 November 2012

Apple, Rose and White Chocolate Cake

When I was asked if I'd like to bake some cakes as samples for Liskeard's Fine Food event a couple of weeks ago, I had to come up with something that would be tasty, quick to bake, could be easily cut into smallish pieces and most importantly included chocolate. As apples were in season, I felt honour bound to include these too. Eat Your Books came up trumps again and gave me sticky maple-apple traybake from Linda Collister's How to Bake from the 2nd series of The Great British Bake Off. I didn't have any maple syrup, but I did have rose syrup and this I thought would go exceedingly well with apples. I therefore omitted some of the flavourings that were used in the original recipe as I didn't want to overwhelm the rose. In addition to making my usual adjustments with flour etc, I substituted white chocolate chips for the walnut pieces and omitted the additional egg whites.

This is what I did:
  • Sifted 275g flour (half wholemeal, half white) into a bowl with 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt.
  • Peeled, cored and chopped 400g Dorset windfall apples - one of the spoils from our recent Glastonbury trip.
  • Folded these through the flour to stop them browning.
  • In another bowl whisked 150g light muscovado sugar together with 125ml sunflower oil.
  • Added 1 tsp vanilla extract and 4 tbsp rose syrup then whisked some more.
  • Whisked in 2 duck egg yolks, keeping the whites separate in a third bowl.
  • Made a well in the flour and poured the egg mixture in. Stirred gently from the middle outwards to mix the ingredients together.
  • Whisked the egg whites until stiff then folded them into the batter.
  • Scraped this into a 9" square cake mould and baked at 180C for 30 minutes.
  • Left in the mould to cool for a while then turned out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  • Creamed 75g unsalted butter with 75g light muscovado sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Beat in 175g full fat cream cheese until just incorporated.
  • Stirred in 3 tbsp of rose syrup.
  • Spread onto the cooled cake.
  • Cut into 36 squares.
This bake got a lot of positive feedback, which was of course very gratifying. It was very appley with a just a hint of rose. The cream cheese topping with again a hint of rose and slight saltiness from the cheese gave a lushness to the cake which raised it to a higher plain than a simple traybake. It had a nice soft texture and was very light. The chunky bits of white chocolate had caramelised slightly giving a delicious toffee apple flavour - all the fun of the fair.

It's birthday time. Tea Time Treats is one year old and we are helping Karen of Lavander and Lovage and Kate of What Kate Baked to celebrate with cake. This is my contribution, simple but scrumptious and well worthy of a birthday celebration, especially if you imagine a candle stuck in each piece.

Waste is one of my pet hates. I have always tried to avoid wasting anything and get really cross at the amount of electrical equipment that we have to send to land fill because we no longer have repair shops. When it comes to food, I really can't bear the thought of throwing anything away. One of my main drivers for having an allotment is so we can make compost, thus turning anything we can't actually eat into food for the soil. With this in mind and to support the Love Food Hate Waste campaign, Kate of Turquoise Lemons  started a monthly No Waste Food Challenge. This month the theme is apples and as the apples I used were windfalls which would otherwise have gone to waste, I am submitting my cake to this month's host, Elizabeth's Kitchen.

As apples are very much in season now, I am submitting this to Simple and in Season, a monthly challenge from Ren of Fabulicious Food that I try to enter where I can.

I'm also submitting this to Javelin Warrior's Made with Love as everything, including the rose syrup, was made from scratch.

19 comments:

  1. Look delicious, struggling to do any challenges this month but there is still time !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the beautiful texture of this cake, Choclette - it looks so moist with little bits of apple and white chocolate. And the frosting looks so tasty - I love a nice thick layer of frosting with my cake :) Thanks so much for sharing (and don't forget to add your link to the roundup)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What good flavours you have chosen and the look of this sponge is perfect. A really great way to make use of those windfall apples. I am now wishing I had made some rose syrup. I ended up using rose hips in a hedgerow jelly instead.
    I imagine this cake was a big hit with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely Choclette. I have never tried apple paired with rose, but I'm sure I would love it. What a gorgeous idea. I've added this to my baking list to tackle once the books are done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, that sounds gorgeous. Such a lovely combination of flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely idea for a flavourful cake recipe and I have a bottle of rose syrup I need to use up too, so I'm up for this one x

    ReplyDelete
  7. An absolutely fabulous entry into tea time treats, thanks so much Choclette, exotic flavours and a wonderful combination of flavours. I also make mu own rose syrup, and my mum makes a wonderful one with her old fashioned shrub roses, highly fragrant and very red, makes good jam too. Back to your cake, it is a beauty and I bet it was well received at Liskeard. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds fantastic - just my sort of cake and even better if you have some windfall apples

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cake has risen perfectly in the oven! I always think that chocolate make the cake mix heavy, but your cakes always look soft and fluffy!! I like the white chocolate/apples combination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous combination of flavours. I especially love the look of that thick icing o top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful combination, looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely cake. Apple, rose and white choc sound wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look fab and the combo of flavours is a winner too. I am sure these went down a real treat with everyone at the event.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delicious sounding combination of flavours Choclette - I can just imagine them working so well together. Your cake looks moist - I do love apples cooked into cakes, and how satisfying to be able to use windfalls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing combos! Can't wait to try this awesome recipe! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How much do I want a little cube of that cake? Perfect recipe for Simple and in Season, the round up is now live xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, sounds amazing perfect for a special treat!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails