Tuesday, 14 August 2012

White Chocolate & Whey Scones

It's that time of year again! Yes, it's International Scone Week over at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial - only it seems to have morphed into International Scone Fortnight this year! Actually, it looks like I've missed the boat and the round-up is already posted. Do check it out as there are a number of very different and delicious scones to admire.

I've always had a bit of trouble with scones, but last year's International Scone Week, galvanised me into action and I decided I was going to get to grips with making light and delicious scones once and for all. The resulting chocolate scones were perhaps not the lightest ever, but they were still at the upper end of the scale of good and tasted delicious.

Having just made curd tarts, I had rather a lot of whey left over, so the obvious thing to do with it was to make scones. I made these fabulous white chocolate scones earlier in the year so I used similar quantities, only this time without butter and whey rather than sour milk. I crossed my fingers that they worked out OK.

This is what I did:
  • Finely grated 2oz white chocolate (G&B)
  • Sieved 8oz flour (2oz wholemeal, 6oz white) into a bowl with 1 tsp cream of tarter and 1/2 tsp of bicarb of soda.
  • Added the chocolate and gave a good stir.
  • Made a well in the centre and added 1/4 pt of whey.
  • Stirred until all incorporated.
  • Brought mixture together with my hands handling it as little as possible.
  • Rolled it out to about 3/4 " and cut into 9 rounds.
  • placed on a lined baking sheet and brushed with whey.
  • Baked at 185C for 15 minutes.
Those crossed fingers seemed to do the trick: the scones were delightful, light, but moist with a nice hint of vanilla from the chocolate. They were so simple to make too, not rubbing butter into flour, which for some reason I particularly dislike. They went remarkably well with some of my mother's homemade blackcurrant jam and a good dollop of Cornish clotted cream.

26 comments:

  1. interested to see that you made your own whey - have been considering similar projects. I love scones - haven't made any for ages, but I might check out this scone week lark - sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, the whey was a bi-product of making curds, but we do make cheese from time to time, just to get some whey as it's useful for all sorts of things, mostly of the fermented variety.

      Delete
  2. I love scones, but usually I go for the plain ones with clotted cream. So far my efforts to make scones have mostly not yielded satisfactory results. OK, the taste was right, but the size and shape and texture not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on plain scones Chris - they are really the best vehicle for jam and cream that I know. However, these ones were barely sweet at all and only had a hint of vanilla - they were very good.

      Delete
  3. Oooh these look interesting - love scones with jam and clotted cream. Send some over please - I have blackcurrant jam (leftover from WSC challenge but sadly not homemade) and I can get the clotted cream. I'll make a pot of tea as well. Deal? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deal for sure Ros - I'm on my wayyyyyyyyyy!

      Delete
  4. You KNOW I am a scone lover and here you are with some LOVELY looking ones, and with whey too, VERY Nice indeed, and super photos too! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. Indeed I do know you are a scone lover and I'm still waiting to enjoy some Cornish scones with you in some tea shop near your old haunts here in Cornwall one day!

      Delete
  5. I am so impressed with your cheese-making and your scones!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to here from you Astra. I only ever make easy cheese, but one day it would be great to try something a bit more challenging.

      Delete
  6. I just couldn't get my scone mojo happening for this event - I thought I had bookmarked your white chocolate scones as I had wanted to try these but had forgotten or maybe I could have tried these - but I just haven't had too many opportunities around - and I was too fixated on chocolate and coconut which just seemed odd for scones (but I did try some brownies that I bookmarked from here)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johanna. The trouble is there are just too many things to do and it's best just to give in gracefully. Chocolate and coconut scones sound rather good to me. Will have to come and check your brownies out :)

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous scones. I like that you used whey in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie - I was sort of guessing the whey would act pretty much like buttermilk. It certainly seemed to do the trick.

      Delete
  8. interesting combination whey and white chocolate. I think they go very well together. They must have tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alida, I never used to be able to make decent scones, so I'm really pleased to find I'm managing to do it these days - long may it continue!

      Delete
  9. No whey! (sorry, couldn't resist). I love the idea of International Scone Fortnight, but I am completely sconed out at the moment. I think I've been having International Scone Year. Still, these do look good - is this your white chocolate instead of lard trick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he Lucy, it is my chocolate for lard substitution trick - only this time it's chocolate for butter ;-)

      Delete
  10. they look amazing and I love the idea of that little hint of vanilla... I have to make scones for the dreaded Aby Village Show this weekend and I have been hunting high and low for a classic recipe... not that I think I could enter these as they're probably too left-field for the witches from the WI xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no Dom, you must follow the rules to the letter and WIN! Good luck.

      Delete
  11. My scones are always very dry. I do not know why!! This recipe using white chocolate seems to be ideal for obtaining lighter scones. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using buttermilk or yogurt might help Rita, but I am by no means a scone expert. I'm learning fast though :)

      Delete
  12. Let me get this straight ... white chocolate ... AND scones???? OMG - I ask again, where have I been living!!! Making these this weekend and blaming my weight gain entirely on you ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh brilliant - I'm always looking for new ways to use whey as I end up with a lot of it after I make curd cheese.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails