Thursday, 2 August 2012

Raspberry & Rose Curd Cupcakes

Having seen some lovely looking raspberry curd over at the HungryHinny back along, I was determined to make some as soon as possible and as it happened just in time to use in cakes for my birthday tea. I had some rose sugar just waiting to be used and some local raspberries - raspberries and rose are a heavenly combination.


This is what I did to make the raspberry & rose curd:
  • Squished 200g of raspberries in a bowl & placed this over a pan of simmering water.
  • Added 150g rose sugar - complete with rose petals.
  • Grated in the zest of an organic lemon.
  • Squeezed in the lemon juice.
  • Blitzed with a stick blender.
  • Added 60g unsalted butter and stirred until melted.
  • Whisked in 2 duck eggs (equivalent to 2 large hens eggs).
  • Stirred over the heat for a good twenty minutes until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
  • Sieved mixture and poured into two sterilised jars.

Each time I make a new curd I think it has been the best ever. When I tried this one, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.


For the raspberry & rose white chocolate cupcakes I pretty much followed my recipe for the apricot curd cupcakes with the following exceptions:
  • used rose sugar rather than cardamom sugar in the cake batter.
  • creamed the butter & sugar then beat in the melted white chocolate.
  • substituting the curd for raspberry rather than apricot, both in the batter and the mascarpone topping.
  • swirled the curd through the batter rather than layering it in the middle.

These too were completely delicious and although the lemon curd cupcakes I also made were very good, these definitely pipped them at the post. Mascarpone and fruit curd is another match made in heaven! My one disappointment was that the lovely spotty pink cupcake cases I bought especially for these cupcakes came away from the cakes soon after baking. So the beautiful presentation I'd envisaged was not to be. I tried sorting them out with elastic bands, but this gave them a crazed dancer look which I think might have been even worse.

37 comments:

  1. Raspberries and rose sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the combination in a chocolate in Ghent for the first time a couple of years ago and it was one of the best chocolates I've ever eaten.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks manu. I love the colours too.

      Delete
  3. god this sounds divine!... raspberry curd is a fabulous thing... i can imagine that sharp/sweetness... divine... the cupcakes are just so pretty too... crazed dancer cupcakes would be fn to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, thank you. Those cupcakes danced of the stand pretty damn fast!

      Delete
  4. These look so pretty. I love the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen. The cupcake stand is a fabulous thing but it does mean you have to make 24 cupcakes if you want to use it.

      Delete
  5. I think this may be one of the best combinations ever. I bet you were overjoyed with this raspberry & rose curd. What an idea. You are the curd queen.I have used raspberry jam with Mascarpone before and that was amazing. Raspberry curd would be superb, I can just imagine :))x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Laura - I'm happy to be the curd queen - as long as don't have to lose my chocolate title status ;-) I like the zestiness of curd which you don't get with jam, not that I wouldn't love a few jars of homemade raspberry jam!

      Delete
  6. I love curds and this one does sound superb. Raspberries have such a wonderful flavour. I bought some spotty cupcake cases when I was baking for a birthday party a while ago and they came away from the cakes too. Must be something about the spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil - cupcake baker beware, avoid spots! Or is it avoid our recipes?

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous! I must away to look up your post on rose sugar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, not sure I did a post on rose sugar Lucy. But it's dead simple. I just layered the petals of three heavily scented fresh roses with caster sugar in two large jars and left for a month. The sugar becomes slightly sticky because of the moisture from the roses, but it is so worth it - the scent is wonderful. If only I grew more roses!

      Delete
  8. Great! I never tasted rose sugar, but I love rasperries! this curd sounds very interesting..and I love the mascarpone topping on the white chocolate cupcakes (something which I wish to try too)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita - see above comment for rose sugar. Mascarpone and fruit curd work really well together and make an excellent tart filling.

      Delete
  9. Ooh! Gorgeous! I discovered how easy it is to make different curds only this year but hadn't thought of raspberries. The flavour combinations sound lovely - I've tried strawberry and rose which is lovely - but raspberry and rose -yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. Strawberry and rose is good too. I've found that rose goes well with loads of summer fruit - at least it's worked with rhubarb & blackcurrants too.

      Delete
  10. A great combination of flavours. I think you are inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you - they were delicious even if they didn't look so great :)

      Delete
  11. What elegant and beautiful cupcakes. I love the flavor combination you used. These are irresistible! Blessings my dear, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine for your very kind comments. I'm particularly won over by rose with fruit this summer and have been using it all over the place.

      Delete
  12. What a great idea, gorgeous colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice - gorgeous taste too ;-)

      Delete
  13. They look just perfect. They have turned out very well indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alida - they didn't look as perfect as I wanted them, but they certainly tasted good.

      Delete
  14. I love raspberry curd (not quite as passionfruit curd mind!!) but I have never thought of pairing this with a rose flavour. Seems so obvious to me now lol. Lovely combo and such fantastic colours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all know what a passionfruit fiend you are Chele, so I'll let you off. My trouble is, it's like brownies, the latest one I make, I think it's the best.

      Delete
  15. Oh YUMMY! All my favorite in a cupcake! Never make raspberry curd before. This sounds & looks very interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kit. I'm a big fan of home made fruit curds - can't stand commercial ones though.

      Delete
  16. What gorgeous flavours indeed! Never tried that combination before but I can imagine it being heavenly. Hope you had a wonderful birthday tea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hazel. I had a fantastic birthday thank you. Sadly wasn't able to eat much as I was overly excited, but everyone else enjoyed it.

      Delete
  17. Hi Choclette,

    That curd looks simply divine-just off to the garden to see if I have any suitable roses to start making the rose sugar!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh hello GD. Yes do make rose sugar. That and rose syrup are this summer's new favourites for me - I've been having rose flavoured virtually everything.

      Delete
  18. Wow that curd sounds amazing and such a vibrant gorgeous colour! Lovely flavours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - raspberry and white chocolate is just perfect for summer.

      Delete
  19. This recipe looks delicious, strangely I was only yesterday given a jar of raspberry curd and wasnt sure how to use it, so this has given be an idea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails