Monday, 6 August 2012

Chocolate & Rose Summer Fruit Tiramisu / Trifle

Is it a trifle? It doesn't have jelly or custard. Is it tiramisu? It doesn't have coffee.  However, I had a pudding to make for a 40th birthday party and after seeing Chris's strawberry-rhubarb tiramisu over at Cooking Around The World, I felt inspired to create my own chocolate version using the redcurrants we'd picked from a friend's garden.

This is what I did:
  • Whisked 4 large eggs with 200g rose (caster) sugar with electric beaters until tripled in volume.
  • Folded in 170g of sifted plain white flour and 30g of cocoa powder being careful not to knock the air out of the sponge.
  • Spooned into a lined large baking tray 26x38 cm and baked at 180C for 12 minutes.
  • Left to cool then cut into fingers.
  • Lined a large pizza bowl (the only large dish I have) with the sponge fingers.
  • Sliced 3 slightly under ripe nectarines - each one into 16 pieces.
  • Dipped the slices in rose sugar then placed in a buttered dish and roasted at 200C for 10 minutes.
  • Scattered these, whilst still warm (so they didn't turn to toffee), over the sponge fingers.
  • De-glazed the dish with a large sloosh of redcurrant vodka and 4 tbsp of rose syrup.
  • Dribbled some of this over the sponge fingers.
  • Rolled a punnet of blueberries - (minus 18 for decoration) and a large handful of redcurrants in the rest of the glaze then scattered everything over the sponge fingers.
  • Scraped the seeds from a vanilla bean and beat into 250g mascarpone with 1 tbsp rose syrup.
  • Whisked 600ml double cream with electric beaters until soft peaks.
  • Stirred the two together and spooned over the fruity sponge.
  • Scattered a load of grated chocolate over the top and used the remaining blueberries and a few strigs of redcurrants to decorate.
Whether, trifle, tiramisu or something else all together, it was absolutely delicious. The caramelised nectarines were a revelation with the flavours really intensifying during the roasting yet still remaining juicy. The sweet chocolatey sponge soaked in alcohol combined brilliantly with the rich vanilla and rose mascarpone cream, which in turn was offset by the tart and flavoursome fruit. Who needs coffee or custard?

I am entering this into the One Ingredient challenge, hosted this month by Nazima of Working London Mummy, but hosted on alternate months by Laura of How to Cook Good Food. The chosen ingredient is peaches or nectarines.

I'm also entering this into Alpha Bakes which is T for Trifle or Tiramisu this month. Alpha Bakes is hosted alternately by Caroline of Caroline Makes and this month by Ros of The More Than Occasional Baker.

And last but by no means least, I'm submitting these to Javelin Warrior's Made With Love Mondays. This celebrates food that is made entirely from scratch and as I made the sponge fingers for this, I think it counts.

And another event I've just found which, given that the theme is chocolate desserts, I really can't miss out on! CookEatDelicious-Desserts is the brainchild of Cook Eat Delicious, but is being hosted this month by Culinary Vibes.

55 comments:

  1. I love a good hybrid dessert, and this looks fab! You won me over when you got to redcurrant vodka...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah. It was a bit of a toss up whether to use the redcurrants to make more liqueur or to use them in a couple of desserts - desserts won!

      Delete
  2. I love the colours in that top photo - so vibrant! And I love the sound of this - yes please to a summer dish with lots of fruit and chocolate and no coffee nor custard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Johanna, you really are a girl after my own heart :)

      Delete
  3. What a creative pudding. You are so good at combining flavours. Rose syrup and redcurrant vodka sound like a delicious combination. Roasting nectarines is something I like to do, now I just have to get making rose syrup as they are still growing in my garden luckily!
    A great One Ingredient entry , thanks :-)xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your very kind comments Laura. Oh do get making that rose syrup, it's such a brilliant ingredient and I've used it loads. Luckily and rather miraculously, it looks like I may be getting a few more roses too. I've run out of syrup so this is very good news.

      Delete
  4. Lovely! I like the chocolate sponge fingers which you have baked to make this fruity tiramisu' (?); alcohol, mascarpone and syrup is a delicious no eggs cream. Beautiful summer fruits colours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rita. I made my own sponge fingers for a trifle once and never looked back. They are dead easy to make, with or without the chocolate and make a real difference to the quality of the dessert.

      Delete
  5. a triflemasu...choclette this is utterly inspired... I love the use of the chocolate sponge fingers, what effort for this triflemasu... and chocolate and peaches is yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom, you are a genius. And have beaten CT to it. He's been away for a few days so hasn't had an input to the naming of this - err, triflemisu!

      Delete
  6. This is so pretty, and with those ingredients you can't really go wrong ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice, it's true - fruit and cream are a wonderful combination. Throw in a bit of chocolate cake and hey .......!

      Delete
  7. Whatever it is it looks very good!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Triflemisu! genius!!

    Looks utterly delicious Choclette, fruit, chocolate and alcohol - what could be better???

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an excellent cake. I absolutely love the colours here. Just so summery!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alida. It was very kind of you not to make some comment about it obviously not being tiramisu!

      Delete
  10. It looks delicious - I've never seen such blue blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I didn't really notice until you pointed it out Alicia.

      Delete
  11. Hi, thanks for you comment on my blog, Glad you liked the Quinoa salad! Your blog is great, very tempted to try some of these recipes now! Hope to see you soon on the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jordan and thank you for the return visit and kind comments :)

      Delete
  12. This looks so delicious and I love the presentation! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen - redcurrants are great for decoration.

      Delete
  13. So colourful and summery. Sounds delish too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakefairy - we just have to pretend about the summery bit ;-)

      Delete
  14. Ooh looks wonderful no matter what it is called. Love the idea of using chocolate sponge fingers and lots of fruit and it is a great entry to One Ingredient and AlphaBakes. Must get my thinking cap on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ren - as you know I have to get my chocolate in somehow ;-)

      Delete
  15. I don't think it would matter what you called this, Choclette, I'd still love it and want a healthy serving! I love the use of the berries on top and the use of mascarpone in the frosting... Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JW - I think it was the jewel like redcurrants that really made it.

      Delete
  16. Tiramisu is my favourite dessert I think, and this is like a little bit of heaven on a plate. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nic, you say the nicest things :)

      Delete
  17. Beautiful Choc. This looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks City Hippy - sometimes I feel I can pull it off and this was one of those times :)

      Delete
  18. Wow what a brilliant idea - I love combining desserts. This looks delicious and I can feel virtuous eating it with all the lovely fruit in it. Thanks for entering this to AlphaBakes - remember to send me an email so I can add you to the prize draw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, thanks for the reminder Ros! Yes isn't it great to feel virtuous about eating decedent food ;-)

      Delete
  19. Sounds delicious and look beauty Choclette :))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wowsers! That is a masterpiece of a dessert, just lovely. I've called desserts 'tiramisu' without them having coffee in it before now so I reckon your pretty safe with this one ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and good news Chele - I'm happy to join the rebellious gang ;-)

      Delete
  21. Call it what you like - it looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very pretty! I do like your homemade chocolate trifle sponges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks C. The sponges are really quite simple to do and don't take up an inordinate amount of extra time.

      Delete
  23. Lovely idea! Great idea for choc sponge fingers! This recipe is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nazima. I can see lots of uses for the sponge fingers.

      Delete
  24. Very innovative & so delicious! Looks stunning ! Would love to have some now! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Kit, that is high praise coming from the master of innovation and stunning :)

      Delete
  25. Choclette you'r endlles creativity is a joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Poyma - a girl's got to try ;-)

      Delete
  26. I would reuse and fill with home made baking for gifts i would also save a few for my daughter and fill with bath bombs and hand made soaps for her.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, I am dropping by via AlphaBakes. The chocolate and fruits combination sounds too good to resist. What a lovely bake.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great message for me, thanks a lot.
    Fruit Log

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails