Sunday, 3 June 2012

Chocolate Granola

Back in January when I saw the We Should Cocoa entry from Carol Anne's Kitchen for chocolate and coconut granola, I bookmarked it straight away. As usual with these things it has sat neglected in my bookmarks folder along with many much older items. The spur I needed came in the form of this month's Breakfast Club, founded and hosted by Helen of Fuss Free Flavours. The theme is Fairtrade. Now I know fairtrade is not all about chocolate, but chocolate was one of the very first things to be given the fairtrade label and it is this wonderful substance I associate most with Fairtrade. So time to trawl through my bookmarks where I was very sure I had a chocolate granola recipe!

As is my wont, I adapted the recipe quite considerably. First off, I had bought a bar of Divine's fairtrade 85% dark chocolate specifically for the purpose of this challenge. When I read the recipe however, it was cocoa that was used. Well blow that, mine was going to contain a bar of real live chocolate. As this was for breakfast I wanted something healthy - to me healthy means NO SUGAR. So instead of using sugar, I used a mixture of date syrup, agave syrup and honey. OK I know chocolate has sugar in, but there is very little in an 85% bar, so I let that one go.

Anyway, this is how I did it:
  • Put 250g of rolled oats into a bowl.
  • Added 30g sesame seeds, 20g sunflower seeds, 60g apricot kernels, 30g goji berries, 50g coconut chips, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/4 tsp fleur de sel (sea salt).
  • In a pan warmed 40ml date syrup, 40ml agave syrup, 1 flat tbsp honey and 50ml walnut infused rapeseed oil.
  • Added 50g of 85% dark chocolate (Divine) and stirred until melted.
  • Poured this into the bowl of dry ingredients and mixed until everything was evenly coated.
  • Spread this onto a large baking tray and baked for 50 mins at 125C, turning the mixture a couple of times during the process.
  • Left to cool
  • Stirred in 50g of chopped 85% dark chocolate (Divine). What I wanted to achieve here was to add the chocolate at a point where it would melt a little and clump with the granola mixture, but not so much that it melted completely. I didn't manage it, so the chocolate remained unmelded.
The aroma of chocolate, coconut and roasting seeds emanating from the kitchen whilst this was cooking was mouthwatering and it scented the whole house wonderfully. Of course, I couldn't wait until breakfast the next day to try some, so out came a bowl, spoon and milk and in went the granola. It was delicious and not too sweet; crunchy with the kind of texture which encouraged you to chew and enjoy the diverse flavours. I don't think it will last long.

34 comments:

  1. oh my... I can totally imagine the smell of your kitchen... my mouth is watering... I love granola and this just looks amazing... imagine it with raspberries and yoghurt... divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom you are so right - again! Know I need to find myself some raspberries before it's all gone.

      Delete
  2. Looks gorgeous! I'm due to make another batch and nice tip with using sugar free. I've jut started baking with sugar free so excited to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the inspiration Carolanne. Hope your sugar free version turns out well.

      Delete
  3. Looks fabulous. I've made cocoa granola once, but never thought to attempt it with real chocolate - so much better! Love all the add ins you had, super healthy. Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie, it did feel rather luxurious making it with chocolate.

      Delete
  4. I love the Dorset Cereals chocolate granola, but can't eat anything that calorific regularly. Your version sounds a delicious treat, but I don't really think you can call it sugar-free. Date syrup, agave syrup and honey still contain sugars - just not refined sucrose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine's less sweet than the Dorset Cereals version Suelle and next time I make it I'll use even less sweetener. You are of course technically right, but I was talking about what most people think of as sugar, ie cane or beet sugar.

      Delete
  5. I don't think I have ever had a chocolate muesli but this makes me thing I might like one - even just adding chocolate at the end sounds luxurious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the sort of thing you've got to try at least once, but you're right is is luxurious and is a special treat sort of breakfast.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a delicious decadent treat to me! I haven't tried any refined sugar alternatives such as date syrup yet, but keep meaning to. My brother's favourite cereal (for a treat) used to be M&S triple choc crunch! Yours looks better though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble with sugar alternatives is that few of them are any good for cakes. I do use Rapadura sometimes though which is good - it's just very expensive. Dorset Cereals is the only chocolate cereal I've tried, but triple choc crunch sounds good to me ;-)

      Delete
  7. I like granola but I've never had a chocolate version - talk about raising the bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only for very special occasions though CC ;-)

      Delete
  8. Oh that does sound rather nice indeed!!I'm almost dribbling thinking about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GD, I'd rather you didn't dribble :(

      Delete
  9. This looks seriously good...and it's also a good excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh delicious. I am currently eating a cacao granola from the Food doctor that is delicious and was just thinking I should make it at home so thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WLM. I haven't tried anything from the Food Doctor - great name.

      Delete
  11. De-licious! I'm not sure I'd eat this for breakfast but would love it as a dessert, crumbled over ice cream or yoghurt with fresh berries or chopped banana. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Littleloaf, I'm not really into sweet for breakfast and am with you - it makes a great dessert or addition to a dessert.

      Delete
  12. You know Chocolate...I was just thinking about adding chocolate to porridge oats the other morning...I didn't get around to doing it but this has really encouraged me to have a go. It looks yummy.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, chocolate porridge is my go to chocolate fix when I have nothing much in the house and get that chocolate craving. I add dark chocolate to porridge at the end of it's cooking time - rich and delicious. But perhaps a bit too much so for breakfast.

      Delete
  13. Oh delicious. This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's one of those things that once made, it's hard to forget about - oh dear!

      Delete
  14. I like the sound of this for breakfast (minus the coconut). My mum's been making granola bars for breakfast and snacks so I'll send her this recipe too as I'm sure she will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep forgetting you don't like coconut Ros. But at least it can be easily left out of the granola - that's what's so nice about these sorts of recipes, you can add or omit whatever you like. Would love to know if your mum ever gets around to making it.

      Delete
  15. I absolutely love granola and this is so so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alida, it's so easy to make, I don't really understand why I've never done it before!

      Delete
  16. What an absolutely wonderful idea - A lovely treat for a lazy weekend breakfast... or for a Jubilee celebratory breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, I'm all for lazy and / or celebratory breakfasts. Sadly mine usually consists of a piece of toast taken on the run :(

      Delete
  17. This sounds and looks wonderful, Choclette - I love that you took out the refined sugar and used real chocolate stead of the powdered stuff. This would beat cocoa pebbles any day ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JW. I do try and eat healthily, especially at breakfast, makes me feel more able to indulge in cake! Whatever are cocoa pebbles?

      Delete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails