Thursday, 10 May 2012

Passionfruit Curd

Passionfruit curd is something that has been niggling away at the back of my mind since I saw the post about it on Chocolate Teapot nearly three years ago. This reminded me of the recipe in Nigella's How to be a Domestic Goddess, which I'd been meaning to make since I bought the over a decade ago ago. You can perhaps see a pattern emerging here - fast is not my middle name! Although both of these recipes sounded good, I preferred a version without seeds as I wanted to use the curd in a cake, so back in March, I finally got around to making what promised to be the best fruit curd ever. I based my version on a recipe I saw over at thepassionatecook.

This is how I did it:
  • Cut 3 passionfruit in half and scooped out the flesh.
  • Rubbed through a sieve to remove seeds trying to extract as much juice as possible.
  • Placed juice in a bowl with 40g cardamom (caster) sugar and 1 duck egg.
  • Whisked thoroughly.
  • Placed bowl over a pan of simmering water and carried on whisking,
  • Added 25g unsalted butter & continued to whisk for about twenty minutes until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
  • Poured into a jar.
This was indeed the best fruit curd ever, I loved the colour and I loved the taste. It was so delicious and there was so little of it, I thought it would be rather a waste to use it in a cake, so instead we had it on scones one day and on toast the next. However, when I found out that my first Clandestine Cake Club meeting had a fruit theme, my idea for a passionfruit curd cake began to re-form. So, it wasn't long after making my first batch of passionfruit curd, that I then made my second.

I am submitting this to Jac's Bookmarked Recipes over at Tinned Tomatoes which was founded by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments.

39 comments:

  1. At last, someone who gets round to things on MY kind of timeframe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm chuckling now. Thanks Kavey, glad to hear it's not just me.

      Delete
  2. This curd sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manu, if you like passionfruit, it's a must make :)

      Delete
  3. Yum! I think you made the right decision to remove the seeds, I left them in when I made some last year and they spoiled the texture. Serves me right for being lazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's something about curd that cries out for it to be smooth. But what did you think of the flavour?

      Delete
    2. You're right. Flavour-wise it was wonderful, to the point that I ate most of it straight from the jar with a spoon. Just seen your recipe for apricot curd – I have some apricot puree in the freezer so I might give that a go this weekend.

      Delete
  4. Wow looks fabulous and I love the colour. I'd had passionfruit curd before, but always bought. I bet its fabulous homemade - added to my recipe pile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I didn't know you could buy it, so that's really interesting. I suspect homemade is nicer though.

      Delete
  5. That truly looks like a jar of sunshine - so bright and fresh! If you could wave this at the sky, maybe it'll coax the sun out for a bit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I still had it, I'd be waving it at the sky till my arm fell off ;-)

      Delete
  6. That curd is the most beautiful colour, like sunshine. Tastes superb I bet. It finally got made and I bet you will be making tons more by the sounds of it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. Sunshine is becoming a bit of a theme - you never know, we might just get to see it some time this month! If only passionfruit were plentiful, I would be making tons of it.

      Delete
  7. Wow I am loving the sound of the passionfruit curd cake, can't wait to see how that turns out! Passion fruit is one of my all time fave fruits, I can just imagine how delicious this must be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was quite excited by it, I must say and it was nearly as good as I was hoping. Should be posting about it soon.

      Delete
  8. Oooh, this looks delicious! We make ours the lazy way in the microwave, and I usually don't bother to sieve out the seeds, but I might next time! I love the hint of cardamom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Celia, I do so envy you passionfruit - that with avocados and lemons. I've made cakes with passionfruit before and left the seeds in, but I think I prefer it without.

      Delete
  9. Ooh I love the colour! It looks delicious x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Much needed sunshine to cheer us all up ;-)

      Delete
  10. your passionfruit curd sounds heavenly..yum..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel - rather wishing I had a few more jars!

      Delete
  11. Yum! definitely worth the wait :) I love the bright yellow colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros, rather wish I'd got on to this a lot sooner - colour and taste are so good.

      Delete
  12. I have never seen this before. A very interesting curd. Makes a change to the lemon one X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alida, it's really delicious and has quite a different flavour to lemon curd - although that's also delicious if home made.

      Delete
  13. That looks simply stunning. I love passionfruit so will have to give this a go.
    Cheers
    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcus, if you are a passionfruit fan, this is a must.

      Delete
  14. I have to try this! I've fallen in love with lemon curd recently, but can imagine passion fruit flavour is even more enticing. And delicious with dark chocolate too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, given a choice I'd go for passionfruit, but lemon curd is delicious too. I've only tried it with white chocolate so far, but I'm sure it will be delicious with dark too.

      Delete
  15. Oh wow-this sounds absolutely wonderful!! Must, must make this...could you double the recipe successfully and make in one go? Just asking as I expect I am going to be rather greedy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doubling or even tripling this should be no problem at all - I made quite a small quantity and it does disappear very fast ;-)

      Delete
  16. Oh dear! I am not to be trusted around lemon curd as it is, this looks even better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks fantastic - what an amazing colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MCB, just wish I could get hold of passionfruit more easily and then I'd be making loads.

      Delete
  18. That looks utterly amazing. What a beautiful colour. I'd be with you on leaving the seeds out - I know they look quite pretty but I hate crunching down on them. I must get round to making this really soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not much of a faff to take the seeds out - well worth it I reckon! Do hope you manage to make it AND enjoy it C.

      Delete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails