Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Baked & Delicious Easter Special & a Competition

When asked if I'd like to review a copy of the Baked & Delicious Spring Special, I was more than a little surprised. Last I heard, Baked & Delicioius had ceased publication after issue #5. I had a note to this effect accompanying this issue, which is one of four that I won last spring. However, whatever happened last year, they are now back in business. I'm a complete sucker for any baking magazines and also a fan of silicone bakeware, so I couldn't resist the opportunity of getting hold of a copy and finding out what the "extra special" silicone surprise was going to be.

The copy duly arrived and with it two chocolate moulds for varying sizes of chicks, rabbits and little Easter eggs. Despite my ongoing issues with tempering chocolate, I was really pleased with these moulds. One day I will master tempering and then there will be no stopping me and everyone will be getting chocolate Easter eggs - Easter or no Easter.

The chocolate Easter cake on the front cover looked most enticing and I very nearly made it straight away. But I had a fridge full of apple and lemon curd which needed using up, so I ended up making an apple and lemon curd cake instead. I did, however, use the moulds to make little white chocolate chicks to decorate the cake with. They weren't an unalloyed success as I had my usual problem melting the chocolate successfully, so I couldn't pour or drizzle the chocolate into the moulds as directed in the B&D issue. I sort of pressed it in using a spoon and palette knife. I was then too impatient to wait for the chocolate to set properly, so the first few I pressed out were not, err, very well defined.

Other Easter goodies to bake include Greek Easter bread, Russian kulich, Polish peanut & chocolate mazurek and baked chocolate creams. I was rather taken by Torta alla Pasqualina, a spectacular looking Italian vegetarian pie containing spinach, ricotta and whole eggs baked in pastry.

The recipes are interesting, the instructions are clear and the photographs are good, but at £8.99 for eight recipes, it does seem a trifle expensive; I guess it just depends how much you want those Easter chocolate moulds!

Baked & Delicious are running an Easter baking competition on their facebook page. The prize of a professional cupcake and chocolate martini making masterclass sounds quite enticing, but as it is based in London, it won't be suitable for everyone.

18 comments:

  1. Little white chocolate chicks are so cute. I think I'd need to take sleeping pills to be able to be calm enough to bake anything like that cake on the cover of the magazine, moulds or no moulds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A work of art too far perhaps, but wouldn't it go down a storm.

      Delete
  2. WOW! Beautiful tiny chicks and lovely cake!
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t whether I would be able to put a knife through that top cake with it’s pretty little field of flowers, bunnies and chicks...still, if there was chocolate involved I might be able to manage it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might not look too good if you tried to hang on to it for too long GD.

      Delete
  4. The chicks are so cute!! I've seen this magazine in the supermarket...I might have to buy it now!! Apple and lemon curd sounds like an interesting combination too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The apple and lemon curd is delicious, not as sharp as lemon, not as bland as apple but a lovely combination.

      Delete
  5. I think your chicks look very cute, even if they're not perfect! I've only tempered chocolate a couple of times but it can be a pain - this year it's all about shop bought Easter eggs for me as decorations - maybe it's cheating but I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, you think I should give up the tempering dream? It would be such fun though to make chocolates that look really good and lasted more than a couple of days. I too have bought lots of little eggs this year for decorating purposes, but that was before I received these moulds.

      Delete
  6. I turned the review down. Although I was rather tempted by the silicone. I think I have a bit of a fetish in that department!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes me too Helen - don't have nearly enough of it yet though ;-)

      Delete
  7. I love the design of the cake Helen. So intricate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The set of moulds is really cute. I may have to buy one for next Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute are the little white chocolate chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the little choccy chicks - perfect for Easter

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the chicks - wonder if they are as easy to make as it seems!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails