This is what I did:
- Creamed 225g unsalted butter with 225g cardamom sugar until pale & fluffy.
- Beat in 3 duck eggs one by one.
- Sifted in 200g flour (50g wholemeal & 150g white), 25g cocoa, 1 rounded tsp baking powder and a pinch of bicarb of soda.
- Stirred in 1 heaped tbsp home made Creme Fraiche (I usually use yogurt).
- Spooned into two 22cm sandwich moulds and baked for 25 minutes at 180C until risen and firm to the touch.
- Left to cool for 10 minutes then turned out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Stacked together with a piece of greaseproof paper between and placed a tin over the top for the night.
- In the morning, unstacked the cakes, only to find that part of one of them had stuck to the paper - oh well holes in the top of the cake it was to be!
- In the morning, creamed 50g of unsalted butter with 100g icing sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Beat in 3 heaped tbsp of apricot curd.
- Spread this over one of the cakes and put the other on top.
- Dusted with icing sugar.
This went down a storm at work, with many commenting on how much they enjoyed the apricot curd filling and no-one commenting on the top. CT felt rather left out, but I did inform him that he does pretty well most of the time and his birthday is fast approaching.