Tuesday, 29 November 2011

We Should Cocoa - The Apple Round-Up

I'm very sad to report that Chele is currently coping with the recent death of her mother in law. I am doing the round-up for her this month.

Apples, it seems, are not an obvious choice to go with chocolate, the chosen ingredient for this month's We Should Cocoa. Much scratching of heads has ensued, resulting in some really creative and inspiring cooking. Not all were convinced by this combination, but there have been some converts - I defy anyone not to like Montezuma's apple crumble bar.

Don't forget to look here on 1 December to find out what We Should Cocoa excitement we will be getting up to for the festive month of December.

Just in time to give Guy Fawkes a run for his money, Mel of Sharky Oven Gloves (who wasn't in the least bit sold on this combination), brings us not just any old toffee apples, but Chocolate Toffee Apples.

Another doubter, Suelle of Mainly Baking, was hoping for a "startling revelation". I thought her Date and Apple Squares with Chocolate Crumble sounded delicious, but she was not, sadly, won over.

Not surprisingly with Bonfire night very much to the fore, toffee apples were a popular choice. But these weren't your average toffee apple, oh no, Hannah of Corner Cottage Bakery gives us Toffee Apple Truffles complete with sparklers.

What I Baked This Weekend was one of those not convinced by the combination. Luckily her husband was, so when she baked these Chocolate Chip Apple Cookies, they did not go to waste.

Dark Chocolate and Buttermilk Pancakes with Green Apple and Orange Caramel Sauce was served up en masse for a benefit breakfast by first timer Jacstar84 of Where the Wind Blows. How I wish I'd been there.

Not one to blow his own trumpet, Dom of Belleau Kitchen reckons he has possibly created "the most heavenly dessert ever". Can you guess what it is? I just love the marbling effect on this Chocolate Apple Charlotte.

Lucy The KitchenMaid lay awake worrying about this challenge in the middle of the night. Well, if worrying produces this most delectable of results, I think she should do it more often. Apple Blondies.

Thoroughly fed up with all the apple cakes I'd made with this year's amazing autumnal bounty, I too got creative and came up with these surprise Apple and Almond Chocolate Pastries.

Janice of Farmersgirl Kitchen got inspired by the mincemeat recipe in Dan Lepard's new book Short and Sweet. She added chocolate to make this dark Chocolate Mincemeat even darker.

Having just said I was sick of apple cake, I would love to try a slice of this Apple Chocolate and Nut Bundt Cake. A real stunner that couldn't look more autumnal if it tried, made by The More Than Occasional Baker.

And another pretty bundt apple cake I really would like to get stuck into - or maybe I should just eat my words. With a bumper crop of apples to process, Michelle of Food Football and a Baby made Grandma's Applesauce and Cocoa Cake with Coffee Glaze.

As always from Phil of As Strong As Soup, we have something rather different. Very elegant to look at with an evocative title, I am awestruck by this Millefeuille of Chocolate Tuiles and Apple Snow.

Another one who found this month's theme particularly challenging was Snowy of Cookbooks Galore. She eventually came up with Chocolate and Apple Pancakes, which sound completely delicious to me, but Snowy was not impressed.

Flapjacks or breakfast bars? Shaheen of Allotment 2 Kitchen was unable to decide. Either way these Apple and Chocolate Chip Flapjacks sound like a delicious and healthy snack to be had at any time of the day.

Using milk chocolate to make this Apple Spice and Chocolate TeaLoaf, C of Cake Crumbs and Cooking was not entirely convinced of the chocolate apple combination either, but did admit it made for a very nice, if not outstanding, loaf.

Crumble in a Cup sounds so comforting and is great for eating whilst snuggling up on the sofa as Kate of What Kate Baked tested out for us. Even better she found when smothered in white chocolate custard.

Not happy with her first attempt at apple and white chocolate muffins, Susan of A Little Bit of Heaven on a Plate had a rethink and came up with this glitzy Toffee Apple Topped Chocolate Marble Cake.

White chocolate custard got a second look in, but with brandy this time. It accompanied this scrumptious looking Rustic Apple Tart with a White Chocolate and Brandy Custard, baked by Laura of How to Cook Good Food.

And yet another one who found it hard to be convinced by apple and chocolate. I think I'd be happy to eat Brownieville Girl's Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding with or without the apple.

Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe not only included apple and chocolate in her bake but pumpkin made an appearance too. These Choc Apple Pumpkin Oat Biscuits look chewy and delicious.

This very stylish Chocolate and Caramelised Apple Cake successfully assuaged the doubts that Helen of Half a Pot of Cream had about this combination. With this gooey brownie like cake topped with such delectable apples, no wonder!

You might be mistaken for thinking Christmas has come early with this Roast Goose with Apples and Cocoa. But the Cake Fairy was celebrating thanksgiving in a very creative We Should Cocoa way.


Karen of Lavender and Lovage really knows how to push the boat out. Having spent a few weeks dashing around the UK, she still managed to get an entry in this month and what an entry it is. I have a real weakness for tiffin, so these Spiced Apple and Cranberry Crunch Bars accompanied by stunning photographs has made my mouth water non-stop since I first saw them.

Somewhat sneakily, I thought I'd get a 2nd entry in. At more or less the same time Janice was making Chocolate Mincemeat, I had had exactly the same idea. Only I based mine on a different recipe using a different book - great minds eh?

Not happy with his first attempt of apple tempera and chocolate sake dipping sauce, first timer Matthew of Salty Plums had a second go and came up with this splendid Apple Soufflé with White Chocolate Parfait.

Chocolate pastry followed by home-made apple and pecan mincemeat and a crumble topping, Chele of Chocolate Teapot knows how to please a crowd - festive apple pies.

24 comments:

  1. Wow, what a line-up! Loving the chocolate mincemeat too.
    Now can I humbly request, on behalf of all of us, that the December one be something nice and simple, please? I have too many other things to worry about at the moment to add WSC to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous round up, love the flapjacks and mincemeat. Thoughts are with Chele and her family at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... what a round-up!... didn't we do well?... I particularly love that apple charlotte ;0)... can't wait for December x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great round up ..... some great ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great round up! Look forward to see what December holds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic selection. I'm always so impressed at the recipes people find and cook. Wonderful, well done one and all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chocolate chip bread pudding looks mighty fine...as do a number of other entries...amazing what we can come up with when we try! Brill. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent round up as always. Looking forward to Dec but will somehow have to fit it in! Can't miss out on WSC can I? ;p Priorities sorted :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great round up. I've managed to get round most of these posts as they popped up but one of two had escaped me, so will visit soon. Thanks as always for such a fab challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some lovely looking things here; they might even convince me that it's a good combination!

    I look forward to these challenges - they make me think harder about what I'm going to cook. I hope the December ingredient is appropriately seasonal - we can then make it as simple or as complicated as we like, ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a run down!

    I am particularly taken by those mille feuille. They look so sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many inspiring suggestions... where do I start? Thank you for a great round-up and looking forward to December's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  13. After having my doubts about the chocolate and apple combo I am now of the belief that they can make a happy partnership!
    An inspiring round up, full of great ideas xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely round-up. I do think the combination of apple and chocolate is difficult but when it works,then it works really well. Looking forward to December (if I can find the time!). I must echo Hannah's words, though, thoughts are with Chele and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a delicious round up. Each ones looks drool-worthy. I have to try out the chocolate/apple combination myself

    ReplyDelete
  16. My thoughts go out to Chele and her at this difficult time :-(

    I loved this round up, and I can't wait for December.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So irresistible! Great round-up! I wish I had taken part too!

    Btw I tagged you in the Food Bloggers Unplugged! Check it out here! http://orangethyme.blogspot.com/2011/11/food-bloggers-unplugged.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. All look good, but I am being nudged towards making some apple blondies - though my dentist will not approve.

    Thank you so much for hosting - as always and my warm thoughts go to Chele at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was surprised at all the confusion about chocolate and apple - I vividly remember as a young child watching my mother eat an apple with some dark chocolate and exclaim how wonderfully chocolate and apple go together - I just was sad I didn't have the time or energy to try some of the wonderful chocolate and apple cakes out there - but am pleased to see lots of great ideas for apple and chocolate here

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! What a great response! And I am glad it was not only me that struggled to find a apple and chocolate combo ~ however, it worked in the end and I was pleased with my tiffin!
    THANKS for a great event and Chele, love and hugs being sent to you...
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, to say that so many people were unsure of the combo of apples and chocolate there were plenty of entries!

    Great round up, looking forward to seeing what next month's challenge brings.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oops. My entry seems to be missing. I hope I got the right email address (weshouldcocoa (at) yahoo.co.uk)? I'll fwd it again, just in case you can tag it onto the end of the round-up...?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks all for the comments. You did indeed do really well, not that I expect anything less these days as you are all such inspired and creative cooks and bakers. Hopefully you will be pleased with the festive and non challenging December ingredient.

    Apologies go out to Matthew. I hope this hasn't put you off participating again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I want to eat everything!!

    Gutted I didn't manage to take part, had bought both apples and chocolate but life got in the way :(

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails