Monday, 21 November 2011

Pumpkin Butter

This is another of my recipes that isn't a chocolate one, but can be justified appearing here because it WILL be used in a chocolate recipe - to be posted shortly! Adapted from the excellent blog One Perfect Bite, where you will find the photograph is so much better than mine, I have reduced the amount of sugar and spices and increased the apple juice content. There is much debate as to whether pumpkin butter can be water processed, thus extending its life to a year or so; as the debate has not proved conclusive either way, I thought I'd go with the safest method - the 'keep it in the fridge and try and use it within a month' one. This is how I did it:
  • Cut a big chunk out of the last of our Boston Marrow pumpkins.
  • Peeled and de-seeded it, then cut it into small chunks (about 1" sq) to weigh about 2.5 lb.
  • Placed in a large pan with 1 cup of very local apple juice, kindly given by a friend.
  • Brought to the boil, then simmered (with the lid on) until soft - approximately 30 minutes.
  • Pureed this with a hand blender.
  • Stirred in 1 cup of granulated sugar and the following spices: 1 rounded tsp ground ginger, 1 rounded tsp ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp ground cloves and a good grating of nutmeg.
  • Simmered this gently (with the lid off) for a further hour, stirring occasionally, until the mixture was thick and leaving a well defined trail when a spoon was dragged through it.
  • Spooned into 6 warm sterilised jars.
  • Left to cool and placed in the fridge.
Sweet and spicy with a gorgeous warm orange colour, this is my kind of food and was delicious on a slice of toast this morning. I'm now thinking I might have to make some pumpkin scones to go with it. 

I'm linking this to Ren's Simple and in Season monthly event which she hosts on her fabulous blog Fabulicious Food - I just so love that name.

15 comments:

  1. looks fabulously smooth delicious butter

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good! Lovely on a scone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look delicious, I love the colour! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the link and your kind words. Your butter looks wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks wonderful and I so love fruit butters too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would just love some of your pumpkin butter, what a delicious thing to spread on toast!
    This will most definitely get made with some of the pumpkins I am planning to grow on my new allotment next year....in the meantime, would it work with butternut squash too??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, I don't think I've heard of Pumpkin butter before (and I ask myself why not?? I'm sure its a super versatile spread). Looking forward to reading how it will be combined the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing. I didnt even know you could make pumpkin butter. Look forward to seeing how it gets paired with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, although this looks delicious, what I'm really looking forward to is seeing how you combine it with chocolate. I made pumpkin brownies the other day which were delicious, although I'm not sure a pure chocolate brownie is slightly better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds magnificent - I can just imagine this in your celebration chocolate cake instead of lemon curd

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like fruit butters, namely pear and apple variety and its a shame I don't make more of my own. Your pumpkin butter is a beautiful adaptation and I do love the photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pumpkin butter!!! Girl, you rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks wonderful, I've seen various "butters" on US sites and wondered why we don't get the more over here.

    I was so pleased to meet you on Friday! I can picture a face next to the name now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, love the sound of this "butter" - looking forward to seeing what you make with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all for your very kind comments - as you know I love to read them all and I apologise for not answering individually. I rather lost the plot recently with things piling up on top of me. Must try harder!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails