Wednesday, 31 August 2011

We Should Cocoa - The Rose Round-up

Well I had a feeling some of you were going to find this month's challenge, err, challenging and it seems I was not far wrong. It took ages for the entries to start rolling in and at one point I was wondering if there would be anything to round-up at all! However, you were not going to let such a thorny thing defeat you and in the end 23 "rose" (pun fully intended) to this month's challenge. The usual inventiveness that never ceases to amaze me has surfaced again and full use was made of rosewater, rose petals, rosehips and modeled roses. I'd like to say an extra special thank you to all those who persevered with what was a challenge in the true sense of the word. As you may have gathered, I have a weakness for all things rose and I'm now wondering how I'm going to make all of these rosy delights - because I certainly want to eat them.

So with this 12th challenge round-up, we've come to the end of our first year of We Should Cocoa. Don't forget to take a look at the Chocolate Teapot on 1 September to find out what we will be kicking off the next We Should Cocoa year with.

Helen of Fuss Free Flavours kicked us off to a fine start with her White Chocolate and Rose Loaf Cake. This is rather like a rose version of the classic lemon drizzle cake but sounds even better. I now really want some of the raspberry and rose cordial that she used, raspberries and rose are such a delicious combination.

Chocolate Profiteroles with Rose Cream were next up. This was the first time Selina of Yummy Choo Eats had made profiteroles - well I can't think of a better flavour to start with and being a rose fan herself, neither could she.

If you want to know how to make white chocolate fondant roses, look no further than to Susan of A Little Bit of Heaven on a Plate. She made Venessa Kembell's Victoria Sponge Cake with Cardamom, Rose Cream and Rhubarb - sounds like a big bit of heaven on a plate to me.

Struggling with which of her many ideas to use for this month's challenge and losing much sleep in the process, Kate of Kate's Cakes and Bakes finally decided on Rose, Pistachio and Apricot Tiffin.

After some experimentation with rose sugar and not being satisfied, Suelle of Mainly Baking came up with these very pretty Rose and Pistachio Blondies using cocoa nibs to give the additional texture and colour.

Thankfully Karen of Lavender and Lovage relished this challenge. A regular user of roses in her cooking she had no trouble magicking up these dainty Chocolate Rose Fairy Cakes - note: NOT cupcakes.

I'd never heard of Baumtorte before, but according to Hannah of Corner Cottage Bakery, it is not only calming and therapeutic to make, but is one of her absolute favourites. She certainly wowed me with her patience in making this Chocolate and Rose Baumtorte.

Pastry cases made out of desiccated coconut and egg whites was another new one on me and it's one I'm very keen to try out. Phil of As Strong As Soup made these really interesting and attractive Rosewater, Rice and Chocolate Tarts.

Really, people's decorative skills never cease to amaze me. Hungry Hinny is yet another one who can model perfect chocolate fondant roses. Not only this, but she made raspberry rose jam to fill her stunning White Chocolate Raspberry Rose Cake - now what was that I was saying about raspberry and rose?

An unhappy little teapot thankfully turned into a happy one when inspiration finally struck and Chele of Chocolate Teapot made this Rose Scented Indulgent Chocolate Cake for a friend's birthday - very much liking the sound of indulgent!

So many celebrations this month. For The KitchenMaid it was a friend's wedding and the lucky recipients got to sample her Giant Rosewater and Chocolate Meringues.

These pretty Rosewater and Polenta Mini Bundt Cakes was the entry from Snowy of Cookbooks Galore. I'd never have thought to pair polenta with rose water and now I'm intrigued to try it.

Dom of Belleau Kitchen was giving tantalising hints about his Fennel and Rose Chocolate Brownies long before he posted them. The reality had me swooning of course. And the fact that the Belleau Kitchen didn't exist when he made them makes them even more remarkable.

Making use of the chocolate coconut spread she had recently acquired, Working London Mummy got very inventive with her Chocolate Stuffed Cupcakes with a Rose Frosting.




Frugaldom in true frugal style used her own rosehips and some knock down price chocolate santas to make these tempting looking rosehip truffles.

Janice of FarmersGirl Kitchen went all girlie and pink on us for this one. Having trouble finding rosewater in the depths of Scotland, she eventually came across a bottle of rosehip cordial with which she made these very pink Peanut Butter and White Chocolate Barbies.

Nic of Daydream About Food came up with a really imaginative use of this month's ingredients making some very interesting looking pink flat bread with roses and chocolate.

Oh how I enjoy this challenge. Not one, but two batches of truffles,  and both very different. "So simple, no fuss" claims Baking Addict of The More Than Occasional Baker. Well I don't find truffles in the least bit simple, so hats off to her for these butterflies; I wish one or two of them would flutter down to Cornwall - Rose Chocolate Truffles.

BrownieVilleGirl ended up not having time to make her original idea, but came up with this Chocolate Rose Cake instead. No wonder it was a crowd pleaser, it uses my all time favourite combination of milk chocolate and rose.

Cheekily, I'm sneaking an extra one in here. I made this Plum and Rose Chocolate Cheesecake Bake, just in case I hadn't time to follow through with my original plan.

Imaginatively entitled rose cupcakes, these were all that I could have wished for when setting out on my rose and chocolate quest.

First timer, Alex of Dear Love Blog has come up with another very different cupcake creation - Chocolate Rose Cupcakes with Pistachios. Beautifully presented and photographed, I am lost in admiration.

And just scraping in at the last minute, we have C of Cake Crumbs and Cooking. She came up with an ingenious idea - I don't know why I've never thought of it before - Chocolate Rose Rice Pudding.

And one I missed - sorry Hannah of Home Baked. And what a one to miss too because I remember wanting one so much when I read the post first time around. Using rose petal spread, another ingredient I'd love to get my hands on, she made these Chocolate Macarons with Rose Infused Cream Filling.

22 comments:

  1. What wonderful entries! I am amazed at the creativity and the beautiful photos your readers send you! I will come back later to follow links to their blogs as there are so many .I want yo know more about. Vicarious pleasures for me. just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh - everything looks great!
    I'm such an idiot, I blogged mine and forgot it needed to be submitted by email too :o/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose was such a fab idea. Every entry is brilliant as always. I promise to participate next time. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some truly amazing rose and chocolate creations there and I LOVED the challenge thanks! I am ready for the next one and will be checking in to see what the ingredient is tomorrow!
    THANKS for hosting this ~ loved it!
    Karen @ Lavender and Lovage

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great round up! Am slowly making my way through all of them. Thanks for yet another brilliant challenge. Congratulations on a year of we should cocoa. How time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What superb entries, I was so sorry I couldn't enter, but couldn't even find Rose water here in Brittany. I thought I might just make my little girl's rice krispie treats and photograph them with a glass of Rose wine! But regretfully felt I would be cheating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, what a round up!!!!... aren't we all simply marvellous after all? ... and all that worry about people not taking part!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great set of recipes - I won't be stuck for uses for the rest of the rosewater bought specially for the challenge!bounties

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a good roundup. We are a creative bunch aren't we!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, thank you so much for organising such a great round-up. A joy to read, as always! And we all definitely deserve a great big pat on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that one turned out well, everyone rising to the challenge, great roundup. Thanks for hosting. Looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who knew there were so many ways to combine chocolate and rose. Superb effort from everyone, once again thanks to all for taking part ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many creative ways of using rose!! And like Suelle I now won't be short of ways to use up the rest of my rose essence!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    Now I know what to do with my rose petals, thank you so much for dreaming up such an imaginative round up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This round up look delicious and amazing I want review all the recipes!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Everything looks amazing! My RSS feed is going to literally explode with all these lovely new blogs to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all for the comments - maybe we'll get more folk cooking with rose from now on in ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely list. They all look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wanted to join in this challenge and submit my rose-flavored coconut dumplings with chocolate filling, but just couldn't fit in the time...so many things going on. I'll try for the next one, even though the theme is a tad intimidating. A chocolate masterpiece for the 1st anniversary? Wow, I'll have to get my thinking cap on for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful round up - Looking forward to reading the few I haven't seen already!

    Happy First Anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  21. How will I cope with keeping to my diet? Eek! so many fab recipes and a really exciting September annivarsary bash to celebrate, too? Chocolate masterpiece planning has begun in Frugaldom. Well done to everybody in this great August round-up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was sorry not to participate - had fleeting ideas but nothing that stuck but it has made me rethink this flavour combination and now I know where to come for inspiration

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails