Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Strawberry and Chocolate Hearts

Three weeks late in the posting this one!

I had strawberries, I had mascarpone, I had two little heart shaped cake moulds to use and I was in the mood for pink. It was also going to be my initial stab at We Should Cocoa and given that I wasn't very happy with my Fairy Cakes, I might be naughty and put this one in too. For the cake I used the recipe from Baked & Delicious that came with these moulds. For the Strawberry Cream, I threw a few delicious ingredients together which I thought would work well - and they did.

This is what I did:
  • Creamed 50g unsalted butter with 50g molasses sugar until pale.
  • Beat in 1 small duck egg and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract.
  • Sifted in 100g wholemeal spelt, 1/4 tsp baking powder and 1.5 tbsp of cocoa.
  • Mixed this in with 2 tbsp milk.
  • Divided the mixture between 2 xxxx heart shaped moulds and baked at 180C for 12 mins.
  • Turned out onto a wire rack to cool.
  • Blitzed some strawberries with a little caster sugar until I had a smooth red sauce.
  • Whisked a bit of double cream until soft peaks formed, then whisked in some of the strawberry sauce.
  • Beat some mascarpone with some of the strawberry sauce until well incorporated and slightly runny.
  • Whisked this into the double cream until it was firm enough to spread over the cakes and stay put.
  • Spread strawberry cream over one cake, laid the other one on top and covered with some more of the strawberry cream. Quartered two strawberries and placed these on top of the cake - hoping this might look a little more elegant than the Fol-de-rol (I haven't forgotten that comment Dom).
  • Tried not to polish off the rest of the cream - there was quite a bit left over!
In retrospect I would have used a little more mixture to make for a taller cake, so 75g of butter, sugar and flour and a large egg, but otherwise I was very happy with this. CT was happier still as he wasn't expecting such a show of affection. The strawberry mascarpone cream was sooooo delicious - it was surprisingly light as well as creamy and tasted a bit like Angel Delight, only not as artificial and not as sweet. A sure fire winner I will be making again.

29 comments:

  1. They are so cute! Love how girly they are too, perfect for a girls get together with some bubbles me thinks. I have now made three different recipes for this month's challenge so I totally understand where you are coming from. Hoping to get mine posted today before I head off to see BON JOVI!!! So excited ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. I like the idea of how to get some extra strawberry flavour into the cream filling and topping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks lovely! I love the heart shaped moulds. And a great colour! Nazima

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely, so cute! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. That CT just gets luckier and luckier. What a lovely cake to present to him. You have completely sold me with the Angel Delight thing. I haven't tasted it in years but as it was the staple dessert in our house for many a year I have very fond memories. I daren't try it again in case my fond memories are dashed. I will make your strawberry cream instead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look gorgeous. I could that wee cake off the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, strawberry bake- not to mention romantic... I'm a sucker for anything romantic, and cake of course, so by combining both, this is such a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! I have a heart shaped tin which just lends itself to yummy cakes covered in strawbs or raspberries

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cake..love the frosting and those big chunks of starwbeery on top...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chele - sometimes girlie is just what is needed. Look forwarding to seeing your post. Hope you have a great time tonight with Bon Jovi.

    Suelle - strawberry puree is a revelation :)

    Nazima - thank you. I quite like shocking raspberry pink, but this makes a nice change.

    Manu - thank you.

    Kath - wish you'd tell CT that ;-) Angle Delight was something I was only allowed as a special treat - wholesome and hearty puds were more my mother's style, so I also have very fond memories of the stuff. Think this is probably better though!

    RhyleysGranny - the good thing about such a wee cake, is it's really hard to make a pig of yourself ;-)

    Anna - thank you, I can do it sometimes :-S

    Kate - thank you. Down with the "romance is dead' brigade!

    Grazing Kate - it's certainly the time of year to cover cakes with strawberries and raspberries. Anything specific in mind?

    Suman - the frosting was delicious and so were the strawberries.

    Maria - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl, didn't I tell you? Mascarpone is where it's AT!
    Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janice - I try to keep up ;-)

    CityHippy - indeed you have taught me a valuable lesson - next step is making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heart ur heart shaped cake, couple of days before i made vanilla cake with fresh cream and strawberries...mine is nothing in front of urs have to so soon try it :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've put your heart shaped mould to good use. I should have used mine for my challenge! I love the sound of the strawberry mascarpone cream.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ananda - your vanilla cake sounds lovely too and especially good with cream and strawberries.

    Baking Addict - thank you, I was really pleased with the heart shape moulds and the strawberry cream is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are torturing me here Choclette! That looks so, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sushma - thank you

    Jac - I do my best ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The strawberries look georgeous, look delicious! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe how luscious that top layer of frosting is! It looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks as wonderful as I'm imagining it tasted - going to have to make that icing very, very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks absolutely delicious - and that frosting looks lush! What a lovely gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gloria - thank goodness for strawberries :)

    FoodyCat - that frosting is gorgeous ;-)

    BVG - it comes highly recommended ;-)

    C - thank you. I think he appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. this looks splendid - just the sort of thing that E would love me to whisk up - but I get cream-shy, having hated it for most of my life - though now I appreciate there are some places where it is a must and this looks like one

    ReplyDelete
  25. Johanna - as a real cream lover, I find this hard to get my head around ;-) But I guess you could always use yogurt, buttercream or silken tofu instead?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I missed your We Should Cocoa, my cake was a definite miss :-( Next time....

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails