Friday, 10 June 2011

It's Summer - Time for Hot Chocolate?

Well summer it may be, but it doesn't really feel like it. It's grey and a cold wind has been blowing for days. Now rain I would welcome, our garden and plot are parched and nothing is growing, but all we've been blessed with in this current bout of wintery weather is the odd splash here and there that gets blown away by the wind almost as soon as it has landed. Anyway, enough of that. The point I'm trying to get to is that despite it being summer, it feels very much like the weather for hot chocolate. This is probably just as well, as I was recently the recipient of two tins of organic drinking chocolate from the good folk at Steenbergs. I was particularly delighted by this as, not only do I like hot chocolate, but Steenbergs is a small family run company driven by ethics which started by selling organic and fairly traded herbs and spices. In addition to this, they have good eco credentials which always meets with my approval. Steenbergs have steadily been increasing their range to include teas, baking ingredients and other ethical products.

The tins arrived plain and unadorned as these are new products and Steenbergs are still waiting for the labels to be produced. I was quite happy with this as the tins are attractive as they are and I can think of many uses to which they can be put - keeping drinking chocolate or cocoa in for instance! I was hoping I would receive some cocoa as I actually prefer this to drinking chocolate which I generally find too sweet, but it was not to be on this occasion. What I did receive was a tin of plain drinking chocolate and a tin of Christmas drinking chocolate - sadly I am unable to give the ingredients due to the lack of labels. All I needed to do was heat some milk in a pan and whisk in a couple of heaped teaspoons of the drinking chocolate mix. The flavour of both were good, but as a drink, they were sweeter than I was hoping. I am looking forward to using them both in baking though and have some recipes which call specifically for drinking chocolate rather than cocoa. The Christmas drinking chocolate had some intriguing flavours that I found quite hard to identify but I thought perhaps nutmeg stood out. There is also a chilli drinking chocolate, which being a chilli fiend, I would like to have tried too.

They will be retailing from between £4.50 and £5.50

17 comments:

  1. Yes! It's always time for hot chocolate!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the weather. We had hail yesterday and today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been drinking a lot of drinking chocolate lately too and I usually only drink it in the winter. Bet these were good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've never been a massive fan of hot choc I prefer a cold chocolate milk... i'm sure these would do eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had hot chocolate for years, but I feel inspired to have one now

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chocolate always!!LOL
    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been known to enjoy a mug of hot chocolate on a cold evening (or not cold!). But I never get the instant stuff, prefer to sweeten it myself. Do like Steenbergs Organic stuff (spices etc) although they're a bit pricy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Manu - true :)

    Janice - you've jinxed us, we had hail today too. Luckily it was mixed with the rain and didn't seem to do much damage.

    Jac - to be honest, I don't really need much of an excuse for a hot chocolate ;-)

    Dom - even in the middle of winter? I'm shivering at the mere thought :(

    The Viking - go on, defy Dom and get yourself one.

    Gloria - you are not alone :)

    LF - agree. This wasn't instant, I still had to heat the milk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love hot chocolate any time of year. My favourite is Hotel Chocolate's chilli chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's definitely hot chocolate weather here now! Hope your gardens are enjoying a good long drink before the hot weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hot chocolate goes with any time of year in my book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nic - I've not had that one, but I have had Montezuma's chilli hot chocolate and that is good too - real chocolate rather than powder.

    Celia - at last it's raining. Today is the first day of real rain we've had in months. It may be cold and not very nice outside, but I am a happy bunny (as long as it doesn't last for the rest of the summer).

    Chele - think I already know when it comes to chocolate, you're a girl after my own heart ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look good, it's definitely hot chocolate weather here. Rain today and it's not the first - you need to move here Choclette, we've been having rain on and off for weeks now (NW England!). It's miserable and I think we had summer in April :-( Thank goodness for hot chocolate! It'll be interesting to find out what's in the Christmas one when they launch it, I'm surprised they didn't give you a list of ingredients at least!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I think I would buy them just for the tins. No label even better! My chai I buy comes in a gorgeous tin that I like to re-use, but the label is a real pest to get off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. C - it's raining again here today and I've definitely had enough now! Steenbergs have now had the labels printed - they were waiting for the Fairtrade approval.

    CityHippy - What sort of gorgeous tin does your chai come in. Have you done a post on it? This is ringing bells, I'd better go an check.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that chilli chocolate sounds really interesting! the temeperature in the UK has skyrocketed the past 2 days though, so probably not such a good idea hahah, but liek the others have said, worth it just for the tins!! gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shu Han - he he, indeed, no longer in the mood for hot chocolate, but it won't last ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails