Tuesday, 3 May 2011

Truffle Easter Eggs

I know these are a little late in the day, but this is the last of my Easter Platter posts and really they don't have to be Easter eggs at all. I think they'd be great given as a gift on any occasion - especially if you've mastered the art of tempering chocolate. Having seen, this post, I was going to attempt making my own Easter eggs this year rather than buying them. Having looked at the recipe a little closer, however, I was undecided - I really can't get my head around US measurements and what did two packages of Graham crackers equate to anyway? So, when I had some cake left over from trimming the Battenberg, I decided to use that as the base for a filling instead.
  • Creamed about 1oz butter with about 1/2 oz caster sugar.
  • Beat in 1 dsp rhubarb liqueur.
  • Added about 5oz cake crumbs and mixed until all thoroughly combined.
  • Took walnut sized pieces and rolled between the palms of my hands forming them into some semblance of an egg shape - I made 15.
  • Put the pieces onto a tray lined with baking paper and placed in the freezer for 1/2 an hour. 
  • Melted 100g 72% cook's chocolate (G&B) over a pan of hot water. Removed from the heat and added a further 50g. This was in an attempt to temper the chocolate - ha ha (I will get this cracked this year, I will).
  • Dipped the eggs into the chocolate and put back on the baking paper to set. As the eggs were frozen, this didn't take long.
  • Decorated with mini sugar stars before the chocolate had set.
My usual aversion to faffing about came into play, so my chocolate eggs did not look in the least professional. I was, however, pleased that I had made the attempt. Most people I know prefer home made over commercial offerings and these certainly looked home made!

Luckily, my mother, for whom the majority of these were destined, was very impressed and thought them utterly delicious. CT also got in on the act. He too thought they were delicious and were the best Easter eggs he had. With a nice crisp chocolate shell and melt in the mouth innards, these were just like a real egg he thought. Not designed for an instant sugar hit, these were slow food to be savoured carefully and enjoyed at length. The bitter dark chocolate was a good foil to the softer sweeter filling.

20 comments:

  1. I think they look great. Love the little stars on top.

    I am very intrigued by the rhubarb liqueur. Where did you get it and is it rhubarby?

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look brilliant, so they're a little like those daft cake-pops which are everywhere at the moment but yours actually look and sound like they'd taste amazing... and a little more inventive too! I also am intrigued by the rhubarb liqueur...sounds too good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so lovely. A great idea to use the battenberg trimmings up and mixed with that rhubarb liquer. Lovely, lovely. You will master the art of tempering, you will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always to prefer home made things, to look just that - home made! Shows the love and care that has gone into it.

    Rhubarb liqueur sounds great - did you buy it or make it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jac - thank you. I made the liqueur and yes, it tastes very rhubarby. Basically bunged some chopped rhubarb in a large jar with a sealable lid, put in a bit of sugar and topped up with vodka. Then left for a year.

    Dom - so glad you said what you did about the cake pops - I have wondered why? See above for rhubarb liqueur.

    Kath - thank you, so glad you've got faith in me - confidence usually needs a boost.

    James - thank you. Good to hear you say that. I prefer the home made look, but there are so many amazingly profesional looking creations out there, I do feel sometimes undermined. Rhubarb liqueur I made myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look so cute, love the stars!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oo booze-soaked, rhubarby cake plus chocolate. Yum
    But what is a cake pop? I clearly don't read the right blogs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I generally think US measurements when I write out my blogs. Sorry for any confusion on the graham crackers. I think your eggs look like a big hit with the cake crumbs! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think these sound delicious, far better than any commercial Easter egg!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds delicious to me - I still have some white chocolate mud cake in my freezer and am thinking of doing cake pops - wish I had rhubarb liqueur to put in it

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these easter eggs, look delicious!!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maria - thank you. Can no longer remember where I got the stars from, but would like to get more as they are so useful for decorating cakes etc.

    Oxslip - you're obviously not out there in cakey world, cake pops seem to be the latest craze.

    Andrea - thank you and thanks for the inspiration. How much is a package of graham crackers?

    MCB - thank you.

    BVG - thank you for encouraging words. Very pleased to see you back on the scene again.

    Johanna - I'm going to have to get around to making some of this white chocolate mud cake.

    Helen - do it now - so easy. It's just the waiting :-S

    Gloria - Thank you. In the unlikely event I have left over cake again, I shall have these very much in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so stealing your rhubarb idea! Great truffle recipe too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And did you ever do anything with the idea Chele?

      Delete
  14. Fantastic recipe , I will try this next week. Do you have any advice on how to get the meted choc coating to the truffle. I tried to coat some last year and it just ran offr ! Does the freezing help. If I coated the truffle in cocoa would it give something for the choc to stick too ? Advice would be appreciated xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark. Strangely, I've never had the problem you describe. I wonder what type of chocolate you used. A good quality chocolate shouldn't rally be a problem. Freezing might help as the chocolate sets almost as soon as it touches the truffles.

      Delete
  15. My Daughter introduced me to cake pops. What a fab idea they are. Sorry a bit of topic but was reading the comments lol. I really love the truffle easter eggs. Would love to have a go. Would also love to have a go making my own traditional easter eggs too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Choclette, I attempted to make a battenberg today and have a lot of leftover cake!! A huge amount. This recipe sounds perfect for helping me use up this cake. Your battenberg looked great but I had trouble with my homemade marzipan too. If I can get a decent photo I may blog it but in the meantime I shall be thinking which liqueur is best to make these truffles!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails