Thursday, 19 May 2011

Chocolate Victoria Sandwich with Lime Curd Buttercream

 Well it doesn't look as though Blogger is going to bring back my lost post, so nearly one week on, I've decided to just clench my teeth and rewrite it.  Once again, I apologise for all the comments that were lost on this one and several of my other posts when Blogger went down.

Remember those wonderful sunny days littered with bank holidays that seem like a distant dream now? On one of those we staged our alternative to the Royal Wedding. Forget the thronging crowds of Pall Mall, we opted for a moorland walk followed by tea and cake. A Victoria Sandwich seemed appropriate, but one with a twist: a chocolate Victoria Sandwich hosting a generous layer of lime curd buttercream. I used Nigella's recipe, substituting the cornflour with cocoa and using yogurt instead of milk. Once again, I was lucky enough to have acquired a goose egg, so this went into the mix too. Inspiration for the buttercream came from Little Bear Cakery with her lemon curd version. I of course used my lime and ginger curd.

This is what I did:
  • Creamed 225g unsalted butter with 225g vanilla sugar (granulated) until pale & fluffy.
  • Beat in 1 goose egg (3 to 4 hens eggs).
  • Sifted in 200g flour (50g wholemeal spelt & 150g white), 25g cocoa, 1 rounded tsp baking powder and a pinch of bicarb of soda.
  • Stirred in 1 heaped tbsp Greek yogurt
  • Spooned into two 22cm sandwich moulds and baked for 25 minutes at 180C until risen and firm to the touch.
  • Left to cool for 10 minutes then turned out onto wire racks to cool completely.
  • Creamed 40g of unsalted butter with 80g icing sugar until very light and fluffy.
  • Beat in 2 heaped tbsp of lime & ginger curd.
  • Spread this over one of the cakes and put the other on top.
  • Sprinkled with caster sugar.
Once again we enjoyed tea, scones and cake in a lovely Cornish moorland garden. Having worked up an appetite, the cake vanished rapidly amid appreciative comments. The cake cut well; it was moist and very tasty but the star of the show was the buttercream. It was so delicious, it tasted just like lemon sherbets - why don't they have lime sherbets I wonder?

24 comments:

  1. You need less friends so I can have more cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same happened to me, I had to rewrite everything and lost all my comments.

    Love the sound and look of this version of the classic cake!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This morning I went to a City Farm, where they were selling goose and duck eggs- I bought a couple of each (as well as some hen eggs- which I promptly dropped on the tube home, gagh!), so really useful to know the coversion between hen and duck eggs, thank you! I love the sound of lemon sherbet buttercream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds and looks heavenly. I'm actually salivating lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this one!!... still looking divine xxx... not quite vivid green enough for me x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the sound of lime curd buttercream. Can't go wrong with a Victoria sandwich especially a chocolate one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rhizowen - I think you get quite enough cake as it is ;-)

    Maria - yes, very annoying. I had an on-going saga.

    Kate - well done for finding goose eggs, they are not easily come by. I look forward to seeing how you get on with them.

    Anna - thank you, you and me both ;-)

    Dom - I know. Thank you for your earlier comment - I even replied to it - bah!

    Baking Addict - it's one of the best buttercreams I've come across yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the combination of chocolate and lime - reminds me of those humbug-like chocolate lime sweets from when I was little... This looks utterly delicious and definitely worth posting twice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lost comments too, but thankfully no posts. Chocolate and lime is a combination I have only tried once before - in a truffle. It was delicious though so I really must try it together more often. I am always in awe of how inventive you are with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, blogger deleted a few of my comments too, it was really annoying! But happy to hear you persisted with the post, and so interesting too! Do you fell the goose egg made much difference?
    p.s. kudos for the lemon curd choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks absolutely delicious. The lime curd is a brilliant twist and paired with chocolate I'm sure would be divine. I need to find an occasion to give this a go. My usual dilemma though...too many yummy cakes - too little time!! X

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I read this first time around but not sure if I got around to commenting - but I found that some of my lost comments dropped back in today which surprised me

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh is this the post where you had a photo of the goose eggs - I remember seeing that and being impressed

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pain to have lost your post, but really glad you reposted as I wanted to say how delicious this looked - really moist and chocolately. I love the idea of lime curd with it too. And chocolate and lime is clearly a good combo - as your post on Sea Dog shows!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hate blogger when it behaves nasty and wat yum sandwich and 2nd pic is a killer yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. you say buttercream and i am soo in!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Little Loaf - thank you for your words of encouragement. Glad it was worth posting again :)

    Katie - thank you. As chocolate is all that I'm blogging about, I have to try and be a little creative or I wouldn't get any visitors at all.

    Xinmei - Without making the same cake twice using different eggs, it's hard to know if the goose egg made any different. But I felt it did ;-)

    Janice - thank you

    Johanna - thank you for alerting me to the reappearance of our comments. I got my original post back in draft format too, but think it's too late to do much about it now.

    C - thank you. I am rather taken with lime and chocolate. I think this might be my best discovery after chilli and chocolate.

    Ananda - indeed, couldn't agree more!

    Janna - good to find another lover of butter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chocolate victoria sandwich...now those are three words that definitely belong together! Sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete
  19. CC - this one is on my must make again list.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is a goose egg bigger than a chicken egg? Would I have to use two chicken eggs? Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK, just seen it's 3/4 hens eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rather depends on size of egg. I'd say 4 medium eggs or 3 large ones.

      Delete
  22. Thanks for that.
    Really like the lime/chocolate combination. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails