Monday, 23 May 2011

Chocolate & Lime Curd Mascarpone Tarts

Some time ago now I bought four little tart cases which I've been wanting to bake with, but somehow haven't managed until a couple of weeks ago. As soon as I made the lime and ginger curd though, I knew I wanted to use it in a tart with chocolate pastry to contrast with that beautiful yellow. But how to do it? Just the lime curd on its own would be too intense. It needed toning down and mascarpone seemed like the right thing to do it with. CityHippyFarmGirl has been trying to get me to use mascarpone for a while now and I've certainly been inspired by her use of it - she even makes her own. So the big question was, did I put a layer of mascarpone at the bottom and top it with the curd or did I mix the two together? Visually, the tarts would have looked better topped by the curd, but taste wise, I thought it would work better mixed. So this is what I did:
  • Creamed 175g unsalted butter with 70g castor sugar.
  • Mixed in 175g plain flour, 60g semolina, 20g cocoa and a pinch of salt.
  • Bought it together with my hands and kneaded briefly until all ingredients were incorporated.
  • Rolled out on a flour service to about 1/2 cm thick. Cut four circles from a small saucer and pressed these into 4 9 cm buttered tart tins with push up bottoms.
  • Trimmed the edges with a knife.
  • Bought all the scraps together and rolled out again to the same thickness, then cut out into heart shaped biscuits which I placed on a lined baking tray.
  • Baked tarts and biscuits at 180C for 10 minutes.
  • Left to cool.
  • Mixed 250g mascarpone with 4 tbsp of lime curd.
  • Divided the mixture between the tart cases.
  • Blobbed some lime curd over the surface in an, ahem, arty sort of way.
  • Scattered a little grated chocolate over the tops - using my new grater.
The mascarpone lime curd filling was delicious - I could quite easily have eaten the bowlful that I'd made, thankfully I managed to restrain myself. I'm glad I did, because as I'd imagined, it paired extremely well with the chocolate shortbread and was truly delicious. It wasn't as intensely sherbety as the lime curd buttercream I made, but the flavour was still zingy.

CT, who had no idea what these were before tasting them, identified the crust as shortbread straight away. He likes shortbread. He thought the lime was riding the crest of the creaminess and it tasted like real lime too. The contrast of texture & flavour was superlative and it made him want to roll it around in his mouth again and again with his eyes closed. To conclude, he thought it was a superior cheesecake and was pleased to get to eat a whole one all by himself, even if it was rather small.

34 comments:

  1. I can imagine that those are heavenly - fabulous combination of flavours! I think fruit curds are due a revival... perhaps your tarts will help with that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously shouldnt have looked at this post before breakfast! Even more hungry now! Pastry looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little tarts look delicious, and it's a very simple way to make a cheesecake dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh, these look heavenly Choclette, I love the light creaminess of them combined with the heavy shortbread crust, simply divine... I really want one now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. look lovely - I had thought maybe you would have the lime curd on the bottom covered by marscapone - that would look great when you bit in (or would it just ooze)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate and lime work wonderfully together. These tarts look heavenly!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look wonderful, definitely one I'll try at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm absolutely addicted to lemon curd so I'm sure I'll love these too! I've always been meaning to make tarts, hope they turn out as lovely as yours did :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These tarts look wonderful and would definitely be a hit with me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made some of the Lime & Ginger Curd last week and it was delicious - perhaps I ought to have a go at these tarts too. Only problem is I am trying to lose some weight before I go on holiday - sigh!
    hopeeternal
    'Meanderings through my Cookbook'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! These look divine, I am crazy about chocolate and lime! Must make my own curd soon...

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look divine! I'm not a fan of citrus things, but I bet that gorgeous shortbread and mascarpone filling would be wonderful with a cherry type curd too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I have got news for you:
    http://sensesinthekitchen-karolina.blogspot.com/2011/05/and-winner-is.html
    Conratulations and please - can I have your full details on my e-mail?
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look like the perfect little treat with a wonderful contrast of textures and flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wat a fantastic recipe...absolutely delicious..
    new to your space..fascinating colleciton of recipes you have..
    Am your happy follower now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..

    Tasty Appetite
    Event: Letz Relishh Ice Creams

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look fab and sure they taste just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aforkful - thanks for enthusiastic response. I've come across some very interesting fruit curds recently - so much to try, so little time.

    Hanna - nothing a good bowl of muesli wouldn't cure ;-)

    Suelle - strangely, I hadn't thought of these as a cheesecake when making them. It was only when writing up that I got that one sussed :-S

    Dom - dead simple and would be great at one of your events done in small little jam tart tins.

    Johanna - oozing is fine by me. I did wonder as to the best way of doing these, but didn't think about your way. Nice idea.

    Maria - thank you. Chocolate and lime have become one of my new passions ;-)

    Alice - so worth trying.

    Xinmei - I'll be watching your blog to see what wonderful tarts you come up with.

    Janice - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  18. Maggie - thank you. Am now thinking they'd be rather good as dainty little bites, although I do quite like the idea of being able to get truly stuck in too :)

    Hopeeternal - glad you made the curd and even more glad you enjoyed it. How about having the tarts as a treat when you get home to assuage those post holiday blues ;-)

    Now Serving - thank you.

    Sarah - yes do make some curd. So many lovely things to do with it - on toast is pretty good :)

    Catherine - I bet you are right there. Liking the idea of cherry curd.

    Karolina - good news. Thank you.

    Hazel - thanks. They could probably be littler, but I'd only have had two if they had been.

    Jay - thanks for the comment and thanks for following.

    MCB - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look so cute, I want some mini tart tins too! The flavour combination sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks gorgeous! I am on the look-out for mini tart tins. They are good both for sweet and savoury.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Am loving the chocolate pastry - the tarts look so professional!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Baking Addict & LF - thank you. These tins were one of the better buys I've made - well worth having.

    CC - thank you kindly - I shall be using the chocolate shortbread pastry again. Just need to think of a few more things to fill the tarts with. Not too difficult a task I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmmm. Chocolate lime sounds fantastic - but with that lime and ginger curd, too? Heaven! Love the combination of flavours in there. You've described it so well that I feel I just tasted one. Merci !

    ReplyDelete
  24. trust me I'm dead seeing those tart, mascarpone is my current obsession! can't get enough of it...ur tarts are darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. They look fabulous - a great use of the chocolate shortbread recipe, the tins and the curd. Lovely combo!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jill - Excellent, thank you. A virtual tasting is a great way not to feel guilty ;-)

    Ananda - You can probably tell, I've got the mascarpone obsession now too!

    C - thank you. Sometimes (quite often in fact) the simpler things are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So are you converted? :-)
    These look beautiful. I might have to play with something similar. Curd is such a delicious thing to put in anything. My trouble is if it's in the house, I have a naughty habit of eating it just with a spoon and it doesn't actually get anywhere near a dessert.
    So will mascarpone be back?

    ReplyDelete
  28. CityHippy - Am I converted? I can't get enough of the stuff and have used it several times already. Naughty habits such as these should be encouraged I reckon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks yummy....you have a lovely blog...I am having a giveaway in my blog..Y dont you check and join that
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/2011/05/chocolate-recipe-and-chocolate.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Aarthi - thank you for your kind comment and apologies for taking so long to spot it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails