Friday, 11 March 2011

Toffee Yogurt Cake & TOTAL Greek Yogurt

As some of you know, I'm a huge fan of using yogurt in cakes. I find that it helps them to rise, gives a good flavour, a smooth texture and keeps them nice and moist. So I was delighted to receive another delivery of TOTAL Greek Yogurt recently (see previous posts relating to this yogurt here and here), both full fat and 0% fat. I've found the 0% fat to be excellent in scones and soda breads although I did use the full fat in these Chocolate Chip Scones. The full fat is wonderful used in cakes, puddings and is also a perfect accompaniment to curry or Mexican food.

I was keen to get baking. I'd come across a one-mix chocolate sponge cake in The Chocolate Cookbook by Christine France that I recently borrowed from our local library. I've sadly neglected our public library in recent years and of course now they are threatened, I'm keen to save them. The "save our libraries" day a few Saturdays ago, kick started me into action and I staggered down the street with a pile of really good books.

Anyway, back to the sponge. I chose butter rather than the margarine used in the recipe (because in my opinion, butter is a more natural and healthier product than margarine) and changed the method. This was due to my usual trick of forgetting to take the butter out of the fridge well in advance of the exercise. To make the most of the yogurt in this cake, I thought I'd try making a yogurt ganache to sandwich the cakes together. I had no idea how this would work, but most things are worth trying at least once. Unusually, it used golden syrup in the mix and it was this that had caught my eye when browsing through the book. Another parcel I'd recently been sent (more about this in a later post) contained a bottle of toffee syrup. To be honest, there's a limit to how much toffee syrup I could use and it had been languishing in it's box for quite some time. So, substitute the toffee syrup for the golden syrup and away I go!
  • Melted 6 oz unsalted butter in a bowl over hot water, then took off the heat.
  • Mixed in 4oz light muscovado sugar.
  • Stirred in 4 tbsp toffee syrup and 1/4 tsp salt then beat until all emulsified.
  • Beat in 3 duck eggs.
  • Sifted in 6oz flour (1/2 wholemeal, 1/2 white), 2 tbsp cocoa and 1 tsp baking powder.
  • Mixed in 2 good tablespoons of full fat TOTAL Greek yogurt then poured the batter into two 21cm cake moulds (would recommend smaller sizes than these) and baked at 180C for 20 minutes.
  • Melted 100g milk chocolate (G&B) with 1 tbsp toffee sauce.
  • Stirred until smooth.
  • Mixed in 2 good tablespoons of full fat TOTAL Greek yogurt and left to cool a little.
  • Spread this over one of the cooled cakes with a palate knife then sandwiched the other cake on top.
  • Dusted the top with a little icing sugar.
The cakes turned out to be a lot flatter than I would have liked. I think this was more to do with using cake moulds that were way too big rather than the lack of rising the cake actually did. Perhaps, as a result of using the melting method to make this cake, the end result was denser than I was expecting. This may not have been my most successful cake ever, but it was still very tasty. It had a nice consistency with very few crumbs, a good mouth feel and a pleasant toffee flavour with a yogurty tang. I was a little impatient with the ganache and put this on before it had set properly, but it tasted great and complemented the cake really well; I shall be using this again. When I asked CT what he thought the flavour was, he said cherry. Cherry, I queried? On trying it a second time, I could see what he meant. Don't ask me why.

For other recipes using yogurt click here.

27 comments:

  1. Interesting cake and the yogurty filling looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm I quite fancy this I bet its a bit chocolate cheesecakey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right about yogurt in cakes.. tried it once and it was heavenly. This looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love yogurt in cakes too... and I love toffee... This looks absolutely dreamy and perfect in my book! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this recipe. Looks so nice. And the top photo is fab! I had a flat cake incident recently too. You really have to stick to what the recipe calls for don't you? Something I totally ignored for years. !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of using the yoghurt with the toffee to tone down the sweetness. I image using it in a buttercream or something would be a bit rich. Love the toffee chocolate combo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That reminds me must take the butter out of the fridge for later. Despite not rising to your expectations it still looks very delicious and it sounds really good - toffee and chocolate, lovely. On the other note, yes we must save our libraries, they are fundamental to our cultural and educational growth. I started to use ours again, after buying far too many books for one house, last summer and the girls love to go. I use a small local library and it is always busy no matter what time I go. People using computers, reading the books, accessing the services generally. If it went there would be a big gaping hole in the community.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cake looks so good, love the photo with the filling teasing us as it attempts to ooze down the side of the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That filled cake looks irresistable & aprt & so stylish too!

    Waw!! Gobsmacked here!!! MMMMMMM,....And I am just on a diet to loose about 3 kg! :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. toffee sounds great to me and I love yoghurt in anything so I think this is a cake I would love to try

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love yoghurt but haven't used it in a cake before. I'd love to try this and the yoghurt ganache.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow tht does look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I am a fan of yogurt in cake but yogurt as a ganache?....genius!
    Looks like a small slice would be a crime.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luscious and melty. yum. Cherry though?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Must try yoghurt ganache on the cream challenged one! Thank you! I have a bottle of Artisan du chocolat salted toffee sauce, haven't used it yet, maybe in a cake like this... ooh ideas, ideas !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Janice - thank you, I was really pleased with the yogurt ganache - well worth doing.

    Carol,now you've said it, I think you're right - mmm, still have chocolate cheesecake to make.

    Spon Euph - glad I have a fellow yogurt cake fan.

    Astra Libris - good to hear from you. Your book sounds like a good one to me :)

    Dom - I'm still ignoring that one - my undoing occasionally, but I think I manage OK most of the time.

    Katie - my thoughts exactly - it seemed to work.

    Kath - thanks. So glad you and your girls are keen users of your library. I have really fond memories of library trips when I was little. Given my profession, I suppose that's not surprising really.

    Chele - glad you noticed that large drip, I thought it was a bit cheeky and couldn't resist. But you are the first to comment.

    Sophie - thanks and good luck, diets are sooooo hard.

    Johanna - if you do make it, i think creaming the butter and sugar might work better than my method.

    Torview - thank you

    Corina - once I tried it, I was smitten ;-)

    Sushma - thank you

    Cityhippy - yogurt ganache is great and of course because this was quite a flat cake, a large slice was not difficult to consume ;-)

    Oxslip - quite!

    Joanna - ooh, that caramel sauce sounds fantastic. Wouldn't it be best just drizzled over vanilla ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds too good to be true! I adore putting maple syrup on natural yogurt so a toffee yoghurt cake sounds amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Greek yoghurt and this cake looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great looking cake, love the look of the filling too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea. I've not really experimented with yoghurt in cake although I bookmarked a recipe recently to try. Love the photo with the ganache oozing out of the cake. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that top photo - it looks like the cake's trying to lick its lips at how tasty it is!

    ReplyDelete
  22. this looks so delicious! thank you for sharing this:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my god ! The filling looks so tempting! I love how it is oozing out..

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am drooling here! look at the filling dripping. Mmmmmmm :P

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks yummy. Yogurt keeps the cake moist.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks lovely and the filling looks soooooo smooth! I don't eat lots of cake but when I do, I like it to have a decent bit of filling. Cakes that are dry are not appealing to me at all. You photos always make me drool! I'm enjoyed the Great British Bake Off last night - bet you were watching too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails