Friday, 11 February 2011

Apple Sauce and Raspberry Muffins

Following on from last month's We Should Cocoa, I was in use up leftovers mode. I had a jar of apple sauce that I made back in September still sitting in my fridge and some raspberry puree I'd made some time back that had gone alcoholic. When I spotted Chele's Skinny Passionfruit and Raspberry Muffins, I knew just how to use that apple and raspberry up. I do like passionfruit, but not having any of those in the house I used double the quantity of apple sauce instead. Mine weren't quite as "skinny" as Chele's as I used whole eggs rather than just the whites and I did, of course, add a little chocolate! Using wholemeal and the protein rich quinoa flour made up for these lapses.

This is what I did:
  • Sifted 360g flour (150g wholemeal, 150g white and 60g quinoa) into a bowl with 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp bicarb of soda.
  • Stirred in 105g granulated sugar
  • Made a well in the centre and added 2 duck eggs, 300ml apple sauce, 2 tbsp raspberry puree and 3 tbsp milk.
  • Mixed together until combined then stirred in 50g chopped 70% dark chocolate.
  • Divided mixture between 12 muffin cases and baked at 180C for 18 minutes.
What a difference shelf position made; those on the right were on the top shelf and those on the left were on the bottom. After my success with the triple apple and orange cake, I've become rather a fan of using apple butter or apple sauce to replace or reduce the butter used in baking (although I still remain wedded to butter). The apple gives a lovely texture as well as keeping everything moist. These were no exception.  Of course, the downside to thinking these were "healthy" was that we ate twice as many as we might otherwise have done; we did, however, manage to keep them going for three days and they kept really well.

19 comments:

  1. I like a nice healthy muffin. These fit the bill. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delicious. I love raspberry and its a great use for applesauce.
    hopeeternal
    'Meanderings through my Cookbook'
    www.hopeeternalcookbook.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent idea swapping the applesauce for the butter. I really should take your lead! These sound like a perfectly healthy muffin. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol - we tend to eat twice as much as normal when they are 'skinny'. These look fab ... must try your version out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are on a baking high recently!! Your muffins look a pure delight!

    MMMMMMM,...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann - thank you. Just about to tuck into something a little less healthy ;-)

    Hopeeternal - thank you. It certainly made a bit more room in my fridge and they were very nice.

    Bridgett - healthy yes, but also very nice.

    Chele - I expect it would be hard to beat your passionfruit muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sophie - thank you. There's always so many things to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Choc! I'm still sitting on jars of apple butter made over a year ago - this is a nice way to make a dent on some of the stash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore raspberry muffins, and of course you've got to add chocolate! :P I'm thankful you used the whole eggs too; as someone on a student budget, using just egg whites isn't a good idea for me as the yolks always end up going to waste. I love that these keep well too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Celia - good to know apple butter lasts so long. My one remaining jar seems to be OK so far.

    H - not very healthy, but yolks work really well in brownies instead of the whole egg if you do have some to spare - as well as making great mayonnaise of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to try this apple butter stuff... even though it does sound like something out of a fairytale... those muffins basically speak for themselves... x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - I am shocked at how much the shelf position affects the final muffin! I am also wedded to butter, but apple sauce sounds like a great substitute for a healthy treat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dom - what, you are doubting the apple butter?

    Hazel - definitely worth a try - you could always have them warm with butter ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious, a nice alternative to the less healthy and more calorific muffins! Although my next recipe i'm making is blueberry and white chocolate muffins....which I don't see panning out as healthy :S hehe

    ReplyDelete
  15. these look so tasty and so much more healthier than the average muffin and really worth a try :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound amazing. I'm going to try making them myself

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look delicious. And so healthy too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails