Tuesday, 28 December 2010

We Should Cocoa - The Date Challenge Round Up


Amazingly, despite the frenetic nature of the festive period, fourteen of us have participated in this month's challenge. Thank you all for taking the time to participate. Well I did say I was looking for something a bit challenging for December, but I hadn't realised quite how difficult it was going to be for some of you. I now know that dates are not everyone's favourite ingredient, so that makes some of these entries even more impressive. For the date lovers amongst you, there are some lovely festive treats to be found here. I would certainly have been happy with any (all) of these on my Christmas table. Once again, I am amazed by the diversity of what people have come up with.

Please do follow the links and take a look at the recipes everyone has put together on their blogs. Comments are always appreciated.

Chele will be posting the next We Should Cocoa challenge on the Chocolate Teapot on 1 January 2011 - getting the New Year off to an exciting start!

Again, in the order that these were received:

Participating for the first time, Stephanie of Confectionary Designs has made a good start with these really luscious looking Chocolate Praline Stuffed Dates

Lucy of The KitchenMaid, having forgotten to submit her entry last month, got in good and early this time. I'm really glad about that, as this Dreamy Date Truffle Fudge should not be missed.

For those not keen on mincemeat, these gorgeous Date Chocolate and Orange Festive Tarts from Suelle at Mainly Baking would make a great alternative to traditional mince pies.

Another first time participant, Snowy from Cookbooks Galore has used dates to give an extra squidginess to her brownies with this recipe for Date and Walnut Brownies.

Helen of Fuss Free Flavours has gone for a complete antidote to the typical over indulgence of December with her Chocolate Date Smoothie.

Veena Krishnakumar of veg junction is another first timer to this challenge and has come up with a very different fudge recipe - Microwave choco-date fudge.

Unbeknownst to me, Chele of Chocolate Teapot was one of those who was not a date fan. But she womanfully took on the challenge and came up with these superbly decorated Christmas Pudding Cupcakes.

Dan Lepard's Chocolate Date Crumble Bars have made a well deserved comeback this month from C of Cake, Crumbs and Cooking - could they have possibly won her over to the date side?

Phil of As Strong As Soup came up with an inspired twist on the classic cake from Brittany with his Gateau Breton with Dates and Chocolate.

Hanna of Corner Cottage Bakery also went for a twist on a French classic. She went one further and had it for breakfast - yum - Date and Chocolate Clafoutis.

The fruit Christmas cake was not forgotten, BrownieVilleGirl made a Chocolate Christmas Cake that I think I might be making next year.

My entry was a stand in for a classic Christmas Cake - Festive Date and Walnut Cake

Here's something doubly festive from Sarah of Maison Cupcake with these lovely pots of yumminess - Date Chocolate Chestnut Verrines

Racing in at the very last minute was Gillian of some say cocoa, some say cacao with another and equally tasty sounding version of Date Bars.

15 comments:

  1. Some really wonderful creations here! I like the variety of uses for this most wonderful fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd happily eat all the other entries, but the Gateau Breton would be at the top of the list. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. as a date lover I am drooling at this array of recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some really inventive recipes here, who knew you could do so much with dates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great round up - I love how different all the recipes are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, I didn't even manage to buy the dates. Shame on me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a mouthwatering round up - lots of fun to check out these recipes and quite a few bookmarked already

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great round up! Well done everyone =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks so good. Great ideas here. I am afraid a dose of flu has kept me late again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. they all look so good... dates are in the fridge but time ran away with me i'm afraid... merry chrimbo to one and all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. some amazing recipes! wow love them all. its sad that i did end up making mines but got the flu the day after and never ended up posting it.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful dates desserts....lovely roundup! I only know about using dates in sticky toffee pudding. I wish I can try all :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How can people not like dates?! Thanks for another fun challenge, think this one was my personal favourite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow chocolate and date would be a killer combination! Thanks for sharing all these festive recipes.

    Happy New Year, by the way. I look forward to following your blog into 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant selection! Well done and Happy New Year everyone!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails