Sunday, 5 December 2010

Chocolate and Cinnamon Eve's Pudding

After reviving Eve's pudding and realising what I've been missing all these years, what could I do but try a chocolate version. This is what I did:
  • Peeled, cored and sliced 4 cooking apples (unknown Cornish variety from my mother's garden)
  • De-husked 100g ground cherries.
  • Mixed these in a baking dish with 1 heaped tbsp demerara sugar, 1 tbsp honey, a dash of lemon juice and 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon.
  • Placed in the oven, 175C, to soften for about 15 mins.
  • Melted 2oz unsalted butter with 50g dark 70% chocolate
  • Beat in 2oz dark brown sugar.
  • Mixed 1.5 oz spelt wholemeal flour with 1.5 oz polenta in a bowl.
  • Added 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.
  • Made a well in the centre and poured in the chocolate mixture.
  • Added 1 duck egg and stirred.
  • Beat in 170g 0% fat Greek yogurt
  • Spooned this onto the softened fruit and baked for 20 minutes until the top was well risen and looked done.
The chocolate sponge rose really well - it must have been the addition of yogurt.  It went very nicely with the apple and ground cherries and made a most appetising dessert. Sadly we had no clotted cream this time, but I guess ... too much of a good thing and all that!  Substituting cinnamon for the lemon flavour and adding chocolate gave it a more wintery cosy feel, which was just right for the cold day. CT thought he preferred this version, although was very happy to demolish either.

18 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea - everything tastes better in chocolate form ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I could sit there with the pudding bowl in my lap and a big spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good Choclette - I don't think I've ever had normal Eve's pudding, but chocolate on the top sounds fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't do this to me Choclette! this looks so amazing... and the chocolate is a brilliant addition. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a new twist on Eve's pudding and great for any chocoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds really delicious - a lovely twist on the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow..i would love to have some of this right now..it looks so decadent ..just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks really good, can I have some too please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chele - well it would be a rather unconvincing chocoholic that would disagree with you there.

    Suzler - nice image, especially the big spoon.

    C - Eve's pudding is lovely, do give it a go.

    Dom - now you're a fine one to talk with all those cake's you've been making recently.

    Maggie - thank you. These things have to be tried :)

    BVG - thanks. To be honest, wasn't sure it would work, but luckily, it did - phew!

    Blackbook - you and me both, my cupboard is currently bare :(

    Baking Addict - it's dead easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm....a lovely dessert, and healthy too. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds great! i love cinnamon with chocolate, they marry well together

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah no clotted cream! Still looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  13. great idea cinnamon and apples ....this is bliss :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Sushma, MaryMoh, Tamanna, Oxslip and Ananda - all comments much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been thinking that this would be good with pears as well....I bet it makes the kitchen smell wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Waw, what a delctbale oven dessert!!

    I must try this,...yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Liz - you are so right, I'm sure this would work really well with pears and yes the house smelt very good.

    Sophie - do let me know how you get on if you do make it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails