Sunday, 22 August 2010

South West Food Bloggers Meet Up


Last weekend the South West Food Bloggers finally got together and had their first meeting.  Fat Lemons in Totnes was the venue and it just so happens to be the cafe of choice for CT and I whenever we go there.  It's a lovely little vegetarian cafe which is tucked behind the main shopping street in Ticklemore Lane and is thus generally quieter than other Totnes eateries - this alone gets multiple ticks from me. As well as good simple food at reasonable prices, it has a good selection of loose leaf teas including three choices of white tea for me - hoorrah!  There is a good range of seating option: you can sit upstairs, downstairs, outside, under a leafy arbour or under a protective awning just in case it rains (which it did whilst we were there this time).  Unfortunately I made a very poor job of taking any worthy photographs, so do go and have a look at the far nicer ones they have on their website.

We love going to Totnes and one day I will get around to doing a more extensive post about it.  CT decided he would accompany me so that he could do a spot of botanising along the river Dart.  We took the train, which was possibly a mistake given that it was prime holiday season and a relaxing journey we did not get - either way.  We arrived in plenty of time to take a walk up to the Hall Gardens at Dartington before I was due to meet up with fellow bloggers.  These gardens are worth a post in their own right as they are one of my all time favourite gardens, so I shall say no more about it now.  We also managed to have lunch at Fat Lemons before the meet up.   The food has a Middle Eastern slant and we went for a meze platter to share which was most delicious, especially the spanakopita.

In the end only three of us made it, Grazing Kate, The Burb and I.  However, we did have a surprise guest who accompanied The Burb and this more than made up for the lack of foodie bloggers.  Sarah G has a keen interest in social media and gave us some great tips on how to "grow our readership".  One of the results of this is that after years of resistance, I have finally joined Facebook.  I'm still trying to find my way around this new environment, so please do drop me a friendly comment (or whatever it is one does on Facebook) to make me feel that it is not all in vain.  Another result is a Twitter list I've started for SW food bloggers and another one for SW food producers - neither of which have many people on them at the moment, but please do let me know if there is anyone you think should be on there.

As we chatted away, I supped on a pot of Bai Mu Dan and indulged in a chocolate brownie - how could I not?  Hopefully this little jolly will be repeated at regular intervals.

12 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun outing Choclette! Riverford is based in Totnes, are they on your Twitter list? Time to batten down the hatches, did you see the weather forecast? It is pouring here already. (Sunday evening) all the best Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of Ticklemore Lane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna - thanks, good point about Riverford, they must be on Twitter, I'll check them out. Yes it was pouring here last night and at odd times this morning, but not nearly as bad as had been forecast. Hope all OK up Bristol way.

    Kath - it's a great name isn't it. Has a fantastic cheeseshop there too - Ticklemore Cheese Shop no less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds loike loads of fun...would love to visit, just for those loose tea leafs...and i would say Fb really helps to get people visit ur blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha, love it! I wonder how many times a day people ask to tickle the cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ananda - I am a fan of loose leaf teas and interesting teapots. Cafe's always get several bonus points if they have these. Thanks also for the facebook info.

    Kath - CT thinks that's a custom unique to Shropshire

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really! Surely everyone tickles cheese now and again?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you had fun! Cafe sounds (and looks) lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  9. OO, sounds like fun! I dont live in the SW, but would love to attend a blogger meet up one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like fun indeed. I love the doors that open up and opportunities created due to blogging...chocolate brownie looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Celia

    Indie Tea - it's the first time I've been able to sit down and have a long chat about blogs and food.

    CityHippy - you're so right about things "happening" when you start blogging and so far it's all been fun. Have to say, I was a little disappointed with the brownie - it was OK, but not great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Choclette - I have been incredibly slack on the blog front since our lovely meet up - have only just got around to writing anything and just came over to see what you've been up to. Was thinking of you today as I made another loaf of rye sourdough from your generous starter.

    It's time to put some of our plans into action. Now my kids are back at school I have a bit more time to focus on food, blogging, life!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails