Sunday, 10 January 2010

Lucuma Chocolate Cake

I've been rather busy over the past few days making bread and trying to get to grips with sourdough, so chocolate recipes have been on hold. But as I'm back to work on Monday, thought I'd better rectify this while I've still got a chance.

I've had a packet of lucuma powder lurking in my cupboard for some time now which I bought when I was last in Totnes - time to try it out! For those who are unfamiliar with lucuma (and I include myself in this catagory), it is an Andean "superfood" made from the fruit of the lucuma tree. It is meant to be particularly rich in beta-carotene, niacin and iron. It is quite sweet and is used extensively in raw products as a sugar and flour substitute. It also makes the best ice cream ever - apparently! Dipping my finger into the powder, it tastes remarkably like Hunza apricots - quite delicious. As I really want to see if the flavour comes out in a cake, I have decided to make a simple chocolate cake with no other flavourings.

This is the recipe I came up with:
  • Melt 6 oz butter in a pan with 5 oz Rapadura (or brown sugar of choice) and mix thoroughly.
  • Sieve 4oz flour (3 oz wholemeal spelt & 1 oz buckwheat) into a bowl together with 1 tsp baking powder, 1.5 oz cocoa, 2 oz lucuma and a large pinch of salt (Himalyan pink).
  • Make a well in the centre and pour butter mixture in. Mix this together with 3 eggs (still no duck eggs to be found).
  • Mix in 1 large tbsp yogurt.
  • Spoon mixture into a 21 cm round cake thingie and bake for 30 mins at 180C (gas 4).
Unfortunately 30 minutes was just a few minutes too long in my oven and I managed to burn the top slightly. The texture was light if a little too dry for me. The flavour was subtle, but the fruitiness did come through. My guess is, you'd need to double the amount of lucuma to really get the flavour and maybe only put in 1 oz cocoa. I'd though about adding some yogurt to the mix, but decided I didn't want to mask the lucuma too much. In retrospect, I think this would have been a good addition producing a slight sharpness and a moister sponge. However, CT and I consoled ourselves with the thought that this cake had to be doing us good! There was an additional bonus - the whole house smells wonderful.

19 comments:

  1. yum! this cake looks soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks fantastic. Who doesn't love a great chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great - I love playing around with different products in a tried and true recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting sounding ingredient! The cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So let me get this straight - it's a chocolate cake containing a superfood??? You should get some sort of dame-hood for this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious. I have never heard of Lucuma before - I love all the wonderful ingredients you use. Hope work goes ok tomorrow. Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just one of the reasons I love your blog, you use fantastic ingredients that I have never thought about it or even heard of. It looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE learning about new ingredients and I had never heard of lucuma - thank you! And I LOVED reading about you trying it out. Thank you again... I'll be reading you regularly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks delicious. I've never managed to make a cake with wheat free flours that doesn't resemble a brick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! The chocolate cake looks absoutely decadent. DELICIOUS!!!

    I learn something today about lucuma. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My three year old yelled 'yum chocolate cake' when she saw your site today, so you have her approval for this one too. Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Kath, I'm delighted to have your daughter's approval. She's obviously a girl of impeccable discernment - just like her mum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So yummy! Love chocolate cake! This looks so decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks wonderful. Moist and delicious. I'll be on the look out for some lucuma powder so I can taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That cake looks amazing! Since it has "superfood" qualities, does that mean you can have more? :P

    Also, I love that you've posted things you would change about it, it's very honest and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all the comments - I do enjoy reading them. Two superfoods together both from the Americas - got to be good for you. I will be using Lucuma again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cake sounds delicious. Thanks for the comment on my blog. A Spanish Christmas has the main meal on Christmas eve when the whole family get together and the present giving is on the 6th of january on los tres reyes or the three kings, and it is celebrated with a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Catherine - I like the idea of spreading the celebrations out over so many days - wish we'd adopt that custom here!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails