Saturday, 16 January 2010

Chestnut Chocolate Cream Biscuits


It just seems the right time of year for chestnuts - I can't get them out of my mind or my stomach! I saw this recipe over at Mainly Baking a couple of weeks ago and knew I was going to have to make these. Well now I've gone and done it. Suelle in her turn had got the recipe from Dan Lepard. I've obviously been somewhat slow on the uptake as I hadn't really come across this baker before but will not be so remiss in future.

This is what I did:
  • Creamed 200g unsalted butter with 150 light muscovado sugar.
  • Stirred in (took quite a bit of stirring) 200g sweetened chestnut puree.
  • Added 200g wholemeal flour and 1/4 tsp baking powder.
  • Combined mixture until a dough had formed, then put this into the fridge for 1/2 an hour to settle.
  • Rolled dough out to 1/2 cm and cut into small (about 5 cm) rounds - I made 24.
  • Placed onto a lined baking sheets and baked in a preheated oven at 180C for 17 mins until golden (should have been at a 150C for 35 minutes, but I didn't read the recipe very carefully and only discovered this later).
  • Realised when I took these out of the oven that I was meant to sprinkle cocoa over the biscuits before cooking - oops. I quickly did this whilst they were still hot and this seemed to work well. Actually, I think this was better as there was no danger of burning the cocoa.
  • Transferred onto a wire rack and left to cool.
  • Meanwhile melted 100g 85% chocolate (think I will use 70% when next making these as slightly too chocolatey for my taste).
  • Mixed in 50g butter, a sloosh of cream and a slug of brandy.
  • Finally mixed this together with 100g sifted icing sugar.
  • Sandwiched cooled biscuits with a generous layer of chocolate cream.
I was really pleased with these biscuits and, more to the point, so were my friends. The biscuits were quite soft, but held together well. The chestnut flavour was quite strong and I thought contrasted nicely with the dark chocolate filling. Hearty, robust and rustic were CT's adjectives - just the kind of provender required after a session of chopping logs (not that he's up to this sort of activity yet).

13 comments:

  1. These look very good, Choclette. Interesting that using chestnut purée works as well as starting with whole chestnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and me both with the chestnut obsession! These look absolutely delicious and the chocolate filling sounds to die for. I like the slug of brandy! Dan Lepard writes regularly in the Guardian and does have lots of interesting recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very delicious. Wish I can some to go with my hot tea now! I have never tried chestnut puree. Hope to try it out soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Choclette,
    They look really really good. I've never had chestunt biscuits and can only imagine how they taste.

    Perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How professional do they look!!! Yumo, I could sink my teeth into one of those as I type ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it difficult to get chestnut puree, being limited to the supermarkets I can get to. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I have some chestnut puree to use up!
    Lovely looking biccies

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suelle, we need to do a taste test to find out if it does indeed work as well.

    Kath glad to know there are other chestnut lover out there. I actually like the idea of a slug of rum, but I have loads of brandy that has been hanging around in the cupboard for some time and it seems a bit extravagant to buy some rum as well.

    MaryMoh, chestnut puree is well worth trying.

    Sweet Soul Creation - they were oh so yummy!

    Mangocheeks, this was a first for me too and one I shall be repeating. I've got these down on the menu for my imagined underground tea room!

    Chele, unfortunately they didn't last very long as I took them over to friends for tea.

    Janice, you can get chestnut puree online from Merchant Gourmet.

    Caked Crusader, looking forward to seeing what you come up with with your chestnut puree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great. I love the way that a mistake such as misreading the recipe (a familiar mistake for me) can turn out - with a positive response - for the best. Ah, there is a moral there for life...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cooee! These look deelish! I've had a tin of chestnut puree languishing in my cupboard for far too long. But I think I have found its final destination...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elisabeth - lovely idea to give mistakes such a positive slant.

    Bare Cupboard - have you used your chestnut puree yet?

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound delicious. Need to go out and get the ingredients when the shops open, thanks,

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails