I had half a jar of sour cherries that desperately needed using up. Fortuitously I was e-mailed a recipe using cherries that came from Merchant Gourmet which I then adapted as a booze free version. I was particularly pleased to have found some local and organic crème fraîche which meant that it was a completely organic cake.
This is what I did:
- Melted 125g unsalted butter in a pan with 100g muscovado sugar and 100g of 70% dark chocolate.
- Sifted 100g wholemeal spelt and 100g of white spelt flour into a bowl with 1 tsp baking powder.
- Stirred in 50g ground almonds
- Made a well in the centre and poured in the chocolate mixture.
- Mixed this in together with 3 duck eggs.
- Added 4 tbsp of sour cherries from a jar together with about 75 ml of the juice from the jar.
- Poured this into a 9 inch square silicon pan and baked in a preheated oven at 180°C for 25 mins.
- When cool, cut into 9 large squares (think 16 would have been better as these were a little too large I thought).
- Meanwhile melted 100g white chocolate with 250ml crème fraîche and left to cool.
- Whisked cold mixture until stiff enough to spread onto cake squares.