When I want to make something that's quick and chocolatey, I usually fall back on chocolate brownies. The best brownies I've ever had were made by an American friend. I've adapted the recipe she gave me slightly, but I have to say although mine are usually dense and delicious, they have never been quite as fudgy as Gina's - I blame my oven!
This is what I do
- Melt 2oz butter, 100g bar 85% chocolate and 6oz muscovado sugar in a large saucepan.
- Take off the heat to cool slightly.
- Beat in 2 duck eggs and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Stir in 2.5 oz wholemeal flour and 1/4 tsp salt
- Chop 2oz walnuts and add these to the mixture
- Bake in a greased 8-inch square tin for about 20 mins at 175°C.
- Cool then cut into 16 pieces
As a cinnamon fan, I often substitute 1 tsp ground cinnamon for the vanilla extract.