Wednesday, 4 November 2009

Chocolate Ground Cherry Upside Down Cake


Finally, after weeks of waiting, we had enough ripe ground cherries (a type of physalis) to cook up a bit of a storm. Hum, what to make? Ground cherry crumble was all I'd ever had before and I fancied something a bit different - something with chocolate! So I came up with this.
  • Dehusked 200g ground cherries
  • Melted 50g unsalted butter in a pan and mixed in ground cherries then 100g demerara sugar
  • Poured this into a 22cm cake thingie
  • Melted 125g unsalted butter with 125g brown sugar & 100g 85% chocolate.
  • Sieved 150g flour, 1 rounded tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
  • Made a well in the centre, poured the chocolate mixture in and stirred .
  • Mixed in 2 duck eggs and 3 tbsp milk.
  • Poured this over the ground cherries and baked for 30 mins at 180C.
  • Removed from oven and left to cool for 5 mins then turned out onto a plate.
The photos, taken with a flash, have really not done this cake justice. It was really pretty with the golden ground cherries making a great contrast to the lusciously dark cake. We had this warm, fresh from the oven and served with cream for dinner. It was completely delicious and equally delicious the next day cold. My chief taster and ground cherry fan was particularly impressed. The cake vanished with remarkable rapidity. I've discovered that ground cherries go particularly well with chocolate and I shall certainly be making this one again. Why don't more people grow ground cherries I wonder?

8 comments:

  1. Love the colours. Going to have to keep my eye out for this kind of cherry at the markets me thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, what a striking colour combination!
    Never seen ground cherries....I'm feeling deprived!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious, and reading your blog, I can't believe I missed National Chocolate Week!! i will have to have my own one!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake sounds delicious! I also love the colors of your cake. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all - compliments always welcome. Haven't done much cooking with ground cherries before as usually just eat them raw. But will have to try growing a bigger crop next year because I there are loads of things I'd like to try them with now. I expect they would make a good jam too.

    Chele, let me know if you ever do find them in a farmer's market?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - I had never heard of or even seen a ground cherry. Thank you so much for introducing me to this golden sweet looking nugget. Is the taste very different from the red variety?

    The cake looks gorgeous too. I am drooling over it, would really love a chocolate kick right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mangocheeks - it's like a smaller version of the cape gooseberry only not quite as sharp - I really like them. If you'd like me to send you one in the post, you can extract the seed and have a go at growing some next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Choclette.
    I want to say yes, but I have to be realistic about the climate in Scotland. You live in Cornwall, much warmer than where I am. So I don't know if my attempt of growing ground cherries from seed would thrive here. I have never heard of anyone growing them, or seen them at farmers shops or markets here, so will decline for now. Thank you again for the kind offer.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails