Friday, 16 October 2009

National Chocolate Week


I've had such a fun day. First making some chocolate goodies, then distributing them around town and seeing the delight on people's faces and finally trying them out myself. Well, it is Chocolate Week and I couldn't let it pass without doing something! So, I thought I'd make some cupcakes for the good burghers of Liskeard and brighten up their day. It certainly brightened up my day.

I made 24 cupcakes in total, 12 dark chocolate chilli cupcakes and 12 cardamom and orange chocolate cupcakes. I gave 20 away, but managed to hang on to 4 of them so my chief taster and I got to try one of each. So, here's my route around town.


First, to our most wonderful Book Shop, which we are so lucky to have in a small market town like ours. For a small bookshop they have a great selection, including a good food section. But if they don't have it in stock they can get pretty much anything you care to ask for.

Then to one of our alternative practitioners in Dean Street where I get some wonderful treatments which allows me to cope with the on-going stresses of work.


Our fantastic Organic Shop had to come next. Again we are so lucky to have this and it's where I get the majority of my supplies including my duck eggs and Bacheldre stoneground spelt flour.


Sunshine Delicatessen for the little luxuries I can't get anywhere else.













Taste Cornwall is yet another shop we are lucky to have. It sells local food, all grown or made in Cornwall. It is here I'm able to get our lovely organic unhomoginised milk from Helsett Farm. Raw milk is what we really want, but this is an excellent product and is the tastiest milk we know of around here. Taste Cornwall is where we get our locally grown and stoneground wholemeal flour which is produced at Cotehele Mill in the Tamar Valley. We also get local cheeses and other delights.


The Library with their dedicated staff, unsung heroes of small town life.






On to Power Quip, our local tool hire shop - it's worth hiring a strimmer for the pleasure of being served by such nice people.


Finally, The Loft, the best cafe in Liskeard where I was meeting a friend for lunch. Great homemade food, reasonable prices - it's always difficult to make a choice from the rather tasty menu and even harder to resist the excellent almond tarts. My friend also managed to snaffle one of the cupcakes at this point.










The cupcake recipes will follow in subsequent posts.

5 comments:

  1. Wow you've been busy! So nice to see the happy faces of the cupcake getters too ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Chele, I hold you entirely responsible as it was you who egged me on to do something for Chocolate Week (no pun intended).

    I did Giles, I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful combination of cardamon & orange! Re your comment about pastry, the key is knead it together as little as possible with the egg (mine is a higher fat pastry so comes together quicker) let it rest before rolling and you will be fine! Happy to offer more tips if you have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Peacepudding, will let you know how it goes when I pluck up the courage to have a go!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails