Friday, 2 October 2009

Apple Cider Chocolate Chunk Cake


With the Somerset Cider Apple Cake very much in mind from last week (see previous post), I did some cider shopping this morning! Nothing lacking this time, I set to and started baking. I adapted the recipe to include chocolate - in fact I substituted chocolate for the sultanas as I thought having both might be rather overwhelming.

This is what I did:
  • Creamed 6oz unsalted butter with 8oz light brown cane sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Beat in 2 duck eggs - one by one.
  • Sieved 10oz flour (5oz wholemeal spelt & 5oz white spelt), 1.5 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp mixed spice and mixed this in alternately with 1/4 pint cider.
  • Peeled, cored and chopped 2 cooking apples (3/4 lb of Cornish unnamed variety) into smallish pieces.
  • Finally mixed these in together with 100g of good quality milk chocolate (34% green & black's) chopped into chunks.
  • Spooned this into a 22cm cake thingie and baked at 180C for 35 mins.
The result was as good as I had hoped it would be. The chocolate chunks made a good substitute for sultanas, giving that additional sweet hit - and they melt in the mouth better than the average sultana. I shall be making this one again. Thanks go to Giles's mum for this one.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased you blogged this! My taste buds have been tingling ever since you mentioned the Apple Cider Cake that I've been dying to give it a try ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fantastic with cider in it! I'm just making a sweet potato cake at the moment, not sure how it will come out but it's smelling good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the cider helps the cake to rise, adds to the apple flavour and gives it a certain zing! Having made apple cakes with and without, I'd vote for the cider every time.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails