Sunday, 11 October 2009

Apple & Cider Chocolate Cake


Having adapted one apple and cider cake last week, I was keen to make the most of the apple glut and have a go at another this week. This time I thought I'd adapt my own version of apple and cider cake - substituting chocolate & cinnamon for the walnuts, mixed spice and orange zest.

This is how I did it:
  • Melted 4oz butter with 100g 70% dark chocolate and 1 tbsp honey.
  • Sifted together 6oz flour (5oz wholemeal spelt & 1oz buckwheat), 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp cinnamon.
  • Stirred in 4oz demerara sugar.
  • Peeled, cored and chopped 1 large cooking apple (unnamed Cornish variety) into smallish pieces and stirred this into the flour.
  • Made a well in the centre and poured in chocolate mixture.
  • Mixed this in together with 2 duck eggs.
  • Poured in 2 fl oz cider and mixed well.
  • Poured this into a 20cm silicone cake thingy and baked at 180C (gas 4) for 40 mins ( which was a few minutes too long as the top got a little bit burnt).
As you can see, couldn't help tucking into this one before I had a chance to take a picture. It was good and the cinnamon worked well, but I have to say it wasn't enjoyed as much as last week's adaptation. Burning the top didn't help as I do not like the taste of burn and lean towards overly moist rather than overly dry. Don't let me put you off though, it had a good texture and tasted pleasant.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful. Love how its so apply and the different flours you used. Looks very moist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katy, it was very nice, just not as nice as the one I made the week before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soft dough and so tasty combination!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails