Monday, 6 July 2009

Orange and Chocolate Cupcakes


Off on a journey and need something that travels well so can still be presented with some aplomb to family on arrival. Still not as well equipped for carrying cakes as I'd like to be, so guess it has to be cupcakes! The fair trade orange spice dark chocolate from the co-op was still on offer and having liked the results of the last cake I made with it, I wanted to use it again. So I made up the following recipe.
  • Melted 50g of dark orange spice chocolate.
  • Creamed 125g unsalted butter with 125g muscovado sugar
  • Mixed in chocolate with 2 duck eggs
  • Sieved in 125g flour (1/2 wholemeal and 1/2 gluten free) with 1 tsp baking powder and 1 tbsp cocoa.
  • Mixed this in with grated zest from 1 orange and 2 tbsp milk.
  • Divided mixture into 12 cupcake cases and baked for 17 mins at 180°C (gas 4).
  • Melted another 50g of orange spice chocolate.
  • Creamed 60g butter with 100g sieved icing sugar.
  • Beat in chocolate together with 1 large tbsp sour cream.
  • Spooned this onto cooled cupcakes and decorated with sugar flowers.
Vanity may be a deadly sin, but I have to say these are pretty damn good. The texture is good - light but substantial with a very pleasant, though hardly unexpected, flavour of spice and orange. I know we should have taken the full complement of 12, but hey, you've got to have one for the road!

6 comments:

  1. Orange and chocolate go beautifully together. This has to be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they are one of the best combinations.

      Delete
  2. I love the combo of chocolate and orange. Gonna try these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do let me know how you get on, it's always good to hear.

      Delete
  3. These sound absolutely delicious - why do you use duck eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is my dad 65th birthday in a couple of weeks so I am going to follow this recipe and make him some cupcakes!!! He adores chocolate orange so I think he will love these! Thank you so much! You are a star!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails