Sunday, 31 May 2009

Chocolate Squares


Whilst hunting around for the chocolate spice cake amongst my old recipe scraps, I came across one I had written down at least 15 years ago, but have never made. So, when unexpectedly invited to a BBQ this evening, I actually had something in mind. It not only looked like quite an easy recipe, but was also designed to be served as squares, so convenient for eating outdoors.

This is what I did:
  • Melted 5oz unsalted butter with 8oz soft brown sugar, 100g dark chocolate and 100g white chocolate
  • Sieved 4oz wholemeal and 4oz white spelt into a bowl with 1 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
  • Chopped 3oz walnuts and stirred into flour.
  • Made a well in the centre and poured chocolate mixture into this.
  • Stirred in together with two duck eggs and 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • Spooned this into a 9in square silicone cake thingy and baked at 180°C (gas 4) for 20 mins (original recipe stated 30 mins, but I wanted a brownie effect).
  • Allowed to cool, sieved over some cocoa powder and cut into 16 squares.
If you like sweet (and I unfortunately do), the result was truly delicious - just like a brownie in fact - dense and fudgy with a nice cracked top.

1 comment:

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails