Friday, 8 May 2009

Chocolate and Cinnamon Shortbread


Completely seduced by a wonderful picture of shortbread in Food, I've had shortbread on the brain all week.  So today I thought I'd give it a go.  I've never managed to make shortbread which is as delicious as the ones you get at WI markets, so was a bit dubious.  However, adding cocoa and cinnamon gave me confidence because I wasn't trying to emulate the oh - so - excellent WI product.

This is how I did it:
  • Creamed 175g unsalted butter with 75g caster sugar and a pinch of salt.
  • Sifted in 20g cocoa, 60g semolina, 170g plain white spelt flour and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
  • Mixed this all together, then formed it into a ball with my hands and rolled it out in a round until about 1 1/2 cm thick.
  • Put this on a buttered baking tray and baked for 30 mins at 150°C.
  • Marked surface into squares whilst still warm then left to cool on tray.
  • Dusted with caster sugar.
Luckily, they were delicious with a proper shortbread texture and the added bonus of a cocoa hit - definitely good enough to take with us to friends this evening.

6 comments:

  1. Chocolate and cinnamon are two of my favourite things, so I am going to have to give this recipe a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this combination too. Perhaps If you do give it a go, you could add more cinnamon - I felt it could have done with a bit more. If you want a real cinnamon hit, try the cinnamon and chocolate chunk cake I made back in February.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just spotted this under your latest post and blimey it looks good, I have never tried chocolate shortbread before, will be making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kath it was good - one of my favourite recipes so far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I don't have semolina can I swap it out or do I have to pop off to the shops and get some?

    I have to try this after I try the recipe my mom gave me and compare. Mom's has 3 ingredients (no salt - sugar, flour & butter)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always used semolina, but I know most use cornflour. Not tried making it with flour only, but I suspect it would be fine - it's all to do with the texture. Would be interested to hear your report if you do try them both.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails