Monday, 13 July 2009

Birthday Cakes


It's my birthday next week and in true birthday tradition I have to bring in cakes to work. What to make? Last year I think I did a strawberry and cream cake along with Expresso cupcakes. Cupcakes are good because they travel well, don't need cutting and are easy to eat in a work situation. This time I plumped for Night & Day cupcakes from How to be a Domestic Goddess.

This year there is the added challenge of having a vegan in the team. It just so happens there is a recipe I've seen in Divine that I've been saving up for just such an occasion - Balsamic and Chocolate Cake. I'm a little bit nervous about this - a cake without eggs?

Vegan Chocolate Cake
  • Sifted 175g flour (used 1/2 wholemeal spelt and 1/2 white spelt) with 50g cocoa, 1 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt.
  • Mixed in 175g granulated sugar & made a well in the centre.
  • Poured in 100ml sunflower oil, 25ml cold pressed olive oil and 150ml warm water.
  • Combined liquid and flour then mixed in 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar.
  • Spooned mixture into a 21cm cake thingie and baked at 180°C (gas 4) for 30 mins. Turned oven off and left for further 5 mins. Cooled in container.



I needn't have worried, the cake was delicious. It rose well, had a moist yet light texture and had a rich chocolatey taste with a slight balsamic twist. It was just as delicious two days later! I was advised by my vegan colleague that silken tofu mixed with melted dark chocolate makes a good cake topping so I might try that next time.










Night & Day Cupcakes
  • Creamed 75g granulated sugar, 50g muscovado sugar with 125g unsalted butter
  • Beat in 2 duck eggs alternately with 125g flour (1/2 wholemeal and 1/2 white spelt), 1 tsp baking powder and 2 level tbsp cocoa.
  • Stirred in 1 tsp vanilla extract with 1 tbsp milk and 2 tbsp warm water.
  • Divided into 12 cupcake cases and baked at 180°C (gas 4) for 20 mins.
  • Sieved 100g icing sugar.
  • Mixed in 100g cream cheese and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
  • Spooned onto cupcakes and decorated each with a chocolate coated coffee bean.

3 comments:

  1. It must be hard to be a vegan. A vegan once came to my house and couldn't stand the creamy smell of the Bailey's I was drinking! Anyway, interesting that there's a cake recipe for when you run out of eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess I dont actually know much about the Vegan diet but this looks a very interesting and delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who is vegan and she struggles to find anything decent recipes! I've emailed this to her!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails