Wednesday, 8 April 2009

Cocoa Refried Beans


This is a heavily adapted version of Chantal Coady's 'Mexican refried beans with chocolate sauce' from her book Real Chocolate - chiefly because I didn't have some of the ingredients required nor the forethought to do the requisite planning.  I am a huge fan of re-fried beans, principally because it's a nice quick meal to make after work and it's a good excuse to have tortilla chips.  I had, however, never made them with chocolate before - until now!

This is what I did:
  • Fried 1 small onion and 3 cloves garlic slowly in a slosh of olive oil and a knob of unsalted butter for about 10 mins.
  • Added 1 nearly drained can of haricot beans - they were all I had.
  • Stirred in 1 tbsp  tomato paste, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp my chilli sauce and 1 tsp cocoa.
  • Simmered for 5 mins, then mashed roughly.
  • Served with tortilla chips, sheep's yogurt and chopped parsley with purple sprouting broccoli on the side.
The yogurt gave a wonderfully tangy contrast to the rich tasting beans.  Next time, I shall attempt to follow the original recipe more closely.

2 comments:

  1. This is brilliant as - truth be told - I am more a savoury than sweet gal.

    I love the idea of using chocolate in a savoury chilli dish - classic Aztec combo!

    And with tinned bean! I stockpile tins of beans - talk about versatile.

    Brilliant idea - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm, I love anything with beans in it and love the refried beans from my local mexican - these sound lovely. Reckon, I'll have to jot down your recipe and give them a try :) x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails