Wednesday, 18 February 2009

Chocolate Polenta Cake

This is a fantastically rich cake that I have made many times before - it's easy, tastes great and has never yet let me down.
  • Preheat oven to 180°C (gas 4)
  • Melt 100g dark chocolate (70% or even 85%) with 150g unsalted butter and 150g muscovado sugar in a pan on very low heat.
  • Sieve 30g cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add 75g fine polenta and 75g ground almonds.
  • Make a well in the centre and add melted chocolate mixture (this is generally how I do most of my cakes as I find creaming rock hard butter a real pain and baking is something I usually do quite spontaneously so am rarely organised enough to get it out of the fridge and into a warm place well in advance).
  • Mix in together with 2 eggs yolks and 1 tbsp Marsala (or brandy)
  • Whisk 2 egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
  • Bake in a 20cm prepared round cake tin for 30 mins or until firm to the touch.
  • Cool on a wire rack.
  • Sprinkle with a little sieved icing sugar and serve with raspberries
Mmmm - delicious!

2 comments:

  1. I imagine the polenta/almond combo would lead to a gritty texture. Or maybe gives the recipe a bit of substance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gritty sounds a bit pejorative - I prefer to seay it gives it an interesting texture!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails